Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Ooooops
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC

Museum Rocket No Dud
Associated Press | January 24, 2008
CUMBERLAND, Md. - History could have come to life in very much the wrong way at a veterans' museum where a rocket on display for two years was discovered Wednesday to be live.

After Allegany County authorities were notified that the Mark 1 rocket on display in Cumberland might be live, the state fire marshal's office and the FBI confirmed it was. Bomb experts removed the ordnance and rendered it safe.

The 48-inch-by-2.75-inch rocket was similar to those used on helicopter gun ships during the Vietnam War, said Deputy State Fire Marshal Joseph Zurolo Jr. A local veteran donated it to the museum, which is in a chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Zurolo said.

Authorities are investigating how the man came to possess the live ordnance.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:24 AM UTC
Now he will have the FBI busting his chops as to why and how he got it bummer for him.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 02:27 PM UTC
"Bomb experts removed the ordnance and rendered it safe."

This means it will be returned to the museum in a box of a million pieces
I hope he has a history of building models...

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
The FBI probably just wants to make sure there aren't anymore sitting live in museums.
I doubt they will file changes against the guy.

Shaun

/I have a bazooka training round in my closet. At least I hope it is a training round.
//Afraid to check
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:15 AM UTC
most of the (modern) training rounds are blue.... if that helps...............
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:19 PM UTC
Yes a training round but still a bunch of powder to get it out the gun.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
Oddly, I have several WW2 shells in my basement as well, originally from my great uncle.
A mortar shell (apparently a flare from what I have been told) a 2pdr shell, both definitely rendered safe.
I also have two very large shells. Not sure what they are, but from what I can see, they may be 25pdr smoke shells. I sure hope they are rendered safe as well, but have no way to confirm. If I ask anyone, I'm afraid they would destroy them immediately in order to find out...

Jamie
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC
Jamie -

I hope those rounds are indeed safe, but you are better off if they have to destroy them. The fillers in some of those old shells become more sensitive over time. The WW I rounds and the Japanese rounds from WW II are particularly notorious for this.

I once helped medevac a Marine who had been handling a "dud" 40mm grenade. He lost both arms and most of his head in the explosion.....and yes, eventually his life.

Is it worth the risk to have your loved ones killed by a "dud"? Please do not handle these rounds again by yourself. Although they have never blown before, the next handling may be the charm! (That was the case for that Marine I mentioned above.)

I would recommend that you contact your local police or fire department to see if there are any EOD resources available. If not, please contact your nearest armed forces facility and request assistance. EOD folks will be able to tell if the rounds have been rendered safe or not.

Best of luck with this.

Semper Fi,
Dave
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the warning, I'll do that.

Jamie
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
Well, did a lot of digging and found out what I have.
They are definitely inert (my uncle verified it himself at the time and was very thorough, I have been assured). They are 25pdr smoke shells, repainted in a made up scheme to prevent their confusion with a "live" round. Relieving to know...

Jamie
no-neck
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC
During the middle 70's my youmger brother bought a "rocket" at a yard sale for a $1.00. He brought it home and played with it until my dad got home. He took it to the police who told him it had been"safed". Dad called the local VFW and a man came over to look at it. He looked and told everyone to get out of the building. It was an air-to-ground rocket ftom the Korean war. The propellant charge had been removed but the warhead was fully functional. They rigged a scaffold out on Virtue flats and dopped it on a rock. They gave what was left of the tailfins back to my brother.