_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Workbench Ideas
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC
I was given a fire rated door at work today that I am going to turn in to my new work bench, read that as big and heavy duty work top. What I need are a few ideas from those who would like to share, what are some things that you have done to your work benches to make your life easier? Have you added drawers, made cabinets , done anything special as far as your cutting, glueing, and painting areas? I want to do this up right from the start and will be getting the supplies this weekend. Thanx ahead of time for any ideas
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/forums/93683&page=1

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/109354&page=2

there's a couple of threads...........
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Josh, whatever you do or come up with, rule #1. Make sure it' ll withstand a 5.0 on the Ricter [ sp ? ] scale. The first thing I learned was a knee or leg or chair arm clocking your work surface can make for some possible bad s*it happening to a build.
Glenn
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
How very true.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
Depending on the floor space available to you. Secure heavy duty legs making that table height up to about your stomach. Then secure your motor tool and vise and will also fit a bench top drill press. This will be your standing up to do heavier work table bench. This will also be your sand, cut, and set up / layout bench. Be sure to stencil across the stand up bench, "WORK AREA ONLY, NO STORAGE" or it will look like my current surface conditions... click on my profile button and you will see...

A simple desk or table where you can sit at will be your gluing and assembly bench. This one will have the drawers and ref books, etc.

acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:22 PM UTC
Get one of those magnetic tool holder strips (sold at kitchen and hardware shops) and screw it into the edge of your worktop close enough to where you do most of your work.
I have just installed one and it's great for holding a variety of (ferrous) tools - keeps them off the worktop and close at hand.
Only downside is that all your tools will become slightly magnetised...
Tool discipline is Very Important.
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
I have about half an unfinished basement to work with and I have a few ideas from the links above that sould work
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:23 PM UTC
Check my photo's to see my built in work area. This is my second area I built. the first went into another room so I had to do it over. I did have a massive piece of glass out of an antique showcase to top my table. Now I have a smaller piece of regular glass to cover a small area. Good luck with your project. take your time and do it right the first time
Joe
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
When I built my hobby work area I put a couple of bookshelves at one end instead of legs. This helps maintain a stable bench top and keeps my references close at hand. It's probably one the better aspects of my workbench.

Scott
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
Now that's a heck of an idea, think I may just have to steal that one
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Unfinished cabinetry or old kitchen cabinets that people are tossing would work as well.......
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
Yup, I wish I could have salvaged the ones we just replaced, but those things were NASTY. I'm getting more ideas all the time from everyone here. Got a question about something I've seen on a few benches, where do you get the stuff to make the turntables?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Josh, HomeDepot, Lowes, have the metal plates with ball bearing rollers between them. Just cut your base out of plywood etc. and do the same for the surface you want to use, round, square etc.
I believe you can get them in different grades also, as in a small one to make your own " lazy Susan " [ I was once married to one of those ] and larger beefier ones used to make swivel bar/counter stools.
Glenn
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Any good hardware store should have the lazy susan bearing plates..........
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
Thanx guys. Oh, SWMBO is gonna shoot me when I get done at Lowes
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
The hardware store I work at also sells a lot of kitchens. You know, custom cabinetry, custom countertops... Once in a while one of the smaller pieces will be damaged slightly and the customer won't want it. The small pieces, like 2' wide, are basically unsalable (sp?) and so those of us who want them can just take them. They make an ideal general work-surface...

I really like the lazy-susan idea... I may have to do something of the sort! The possibilities become endless....
Lewis
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I built my hobby work area I put a couple of bookshelves at one end instead of legs. This helps maintain a stable bench top and keeps my references close at hand.

Think carefully before doing this one. I have had bookshelves at the end of my old workbench but never even imagined putting books in them. I do a lot of dremel cutting & sanding at my workbench and the dust goes absolutely everywhere, including all over anything that might be in my shelves. You really don't want your books covered in resin dust do you? If you can put doors with a simple seal on them over the book opening, you can get away with it, but I wouldn't do it without a sealed door iof some kind.

Paul
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:25 AM UTC
I'm not into resin just yet, but thats a good foward thinking idea I need to consider
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I built my hobby work area I put a couple of bookshelves at one end instead of legs. This helps maintain a stable bench top and keeps my references close at hand.

Think carefully before doing this one. I have had bookshelves at the end of my old workbench but never even imagined putting books in them. I do a lot of dremel cutting & sanding at my workbench and the dust goes absolutely everywhere, including all over anything that might be in my shelves. You really don't want your books covered in resin dust do you? If you can put doors with a simple seal on them over the book opening, you can get away with it, but I wouldn't do it without a sealed door iof some kind.

Paul

Interesting. My shelves don't have doors and I've never had this problem. I guess it is something to consider though.

Scott
 _GOTOTOP