_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
MMiR Magazine.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
Is anbody else as mad as me at the publishers of the magazine MMiR as I am.
It is almost three years (36 months) since I subscribed for one year (4 issues) and still waiting for my fourth??

Just before Christmas they stated they had not yet finished the featured models?? That meant nothing had even been sent to the printers?

Amazing, how do they stay in business?

Keef.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC
Not exactly, but I am have the same problem with MilitaryVehiclesMagazine subscription.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
From what I understand and have read Pat is a great guy and when he gets it out he gets it out.
No offense but he needs to hire some more help down in Florida and it is printed in Korea so go figure.

Plus he has another mag that he does Model X bought the first issue but might be next year before we see another Issue.

Oh and ask about the book "Son of Sherman" that will be good for a laugh as well.

As MMIR will be a Combined issue might be all you get for 2 years.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Pat, a great guy?
A great guy doesn't take your money and produce very little. The printed word that I had when I took out my subscription was for 4 issues in a 12 month (1 year) period.

That constitutes a formal legal agreement and contract between purchaser and supplier.

The subsequent postcard that I received informed me my subscription had expired?? (even though I had only recieved 2 issues?) AND it is carefully worded >
4 issue subscription !! That means NO time limit on 'when' if ever you will see your magazine?

I get the feeling Peter is being robbed to pay for Paul !! His priority should be to those who's money he has already taken.
It might even be a touch more palatable if some explanation or excuse (believable would help) was forthcoming.

Phoning produces nothing more than lip service and no magazine...

Keith.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
I understand your anger but will get you nothing but more reasons why the Mag won't be out until It is out.

I almost took a subscription for it years ago when they were close on issues glad I did not.

Too many irons in the Fire I think and not enough folks to handle it.

Hope for the Best.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
Jeff,

Let's get something straight. Pat doesn't do MODELx, I do. He's the publisher. If your MODELx is late, it's not because of Pat or his scheduling problems with MMiR. He handles the post-production and logisitics, everything else is my responsibility.

If you're ticked off at Pat, there's no reason to take it out on me or my publication.

MODELx is a completely new start-up. There's no company limo or helo flying me to work everyday. We're investing a lot of our own resources into the project. We are three guys working in our basements trying to bring the best modeling mag in the business, for an $8.00 cover price. No one else can say that right now.

And, Issue 2 is shipping to the subscribers. Issue 3 is on time, and Issue 4 will put us only two weeks off our original production schedule.

I know that Pat's double-issue of MMiR is real close, and he's back on track with Issue 44. There's no impropriety or fraud going on, just a run of bad luck...some financial problems, a hurricane or two, and a bunch of little things that all add up. We've all been there, whether it's forgetting to return a DVD to the video store or choosing which bill is going to be late because you don't have the ability to pay both on time.

I'm not making excuses, just a point.

Jeff Herne
Editor, MODELx
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,

Let's get something straight. Pat doesn't do MODELx, I do. He's the publisher. If your MODELx is late, it's not because of Pat or his scheduling problems with MMiR. He handles the post-production and logisitics, everything else is my responsibility.

If you're ticked off at Pat, there's no reason to take it out on me or my publication.

MODELx is a completely new start-up. There's no company limo or helo flying me to work everyday. We're investing a lot of our own resources into the project. We are three guys working in our basements trying to bring the best modeling mag in the business, for an $8.00 cover price. No one else can say that right now.

And, Issue 2 is shipping to the subscribers. Issue 3 is on time, and Issue 4 will put us only two weeks off our original production schedule.

I know that Pat's double-issue of MMiR is real close, and he's back on track with Issue 44. There's no impropriety or fraud going on, just a run of bad luck...some financial problems, a hurricane or two, and a bunch of little things that all add up. We've all been there, whether it's forgetting to return a DVD to the video store or choosing which bill is going to be late because you don't have the ability to pay both on time.

Jeff Herne
Editor, MODELx

Jeff, as I indicated in my thread, it would help if the answers were forthcoming and they are NOT. Nor does it seem that any explanations can be found without attacking the integrity of the company (No not yours).
Perhaps as you have shown through your input they should have cut back on the type of paper used and the all color picture version, returning MMiR to it's original format. This would have cut down on production costs..One cannot expect to enter into any agreement and take money up front without communicating problems in production with those you have an agreement with.

After the first long delay, nothing was written in the next issue by way of an apology and nothing to warn or indicate a possibility of an even longer wait for the next issue.
Now, am I supposed to be super glad and appreciate my bumper issue when it eventually arrives or am I to be sympathetic towards those who sadly have reupped their subscription for a further 4 issues, which I get the feeling they may never see the completion of.
Who knows..
All I have ever asked for is what I have 'PAID IN ADVANCE FOR.' is that unreasonable?

I have phoned, may even have spoken to you! sent e. mails and asked for an HONEST answer and a TRUTHFUL reply... well guess what, the silence is deafening. WHY??

Seems to me, this is working on blind faith and that cannot continue indefinately.

If your having Pat publish your magazine, I wish you luck and I certainly have no wish to see you have anything like the poor service and lack of communication we have had to put up with over the past 36 months or more. It certainly leaves a bad taste in ones mouth and word has spread quickly.
Subscriptions must be filled or returned it is as simple as that, if his business is to continue. I fear it may dry up, confidence in his company is getting scarce in MY humble opinion.

Keith.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
I just order my copies when they come out....so I don't have anything invested. I really like the magazine when I get 'em!
I've never seen the modelX mag before. What is its orientation?

Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
Keith,

I understand your frustration, but something is being done to correct it. Pat is working his ass off, because I've called him at his office as late as midnight some nights. And no, you've never talked to me, I'm based in Wisconsin. Chances are you talked to Jeff K., who is based in FL.

Plasticat, MODELx is an all-encompassing magazine, meaning, we cover everything, armor, aircraft, ships, figures, sci-fi, even autos. You can download the pilot issue from our website, MODELx.com, and Issue 1 is available from Hobbylink Japan, Squadron, Sprue Bros., RZM, Steven's, etc. The pilot issue is 48 pages, and the PDF file was reduced in size to make downloading a little easier, so the quality has been reduced. Printed versions of the pilot are no longer available. Full issues of the magazine are 96 pages, perfect bound, on heavy glossy stock. Cover price is $8.00.

Jeff
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:49 AM UTC
Jeff, I appreciate your input and concern, thank you.

Unfortunately it does very little to dispel the gut feeling of being chumped.
It would have cost them very little to place a message on an answering machine and or posted some information on the IPMS and other websites, (I was told it was on one, but never found it)...I even told Pat to put information on the IPMS site myself?

Confidence has to be restored with the subscriber if he wishes to continue. The verbal contact I had assured me we would see the magazine before Christmas! Since then (January) I was told, the models were being built in house but were not yet finished .

Well that indicates it (articles) could not be complete at that point nor the magazine ready for sending to the printers (also not in the USA I might add). The time lag then has to be a month or more before mailing out to the subscribers? So I am guessing March maybe?

How businesses that pay to advertise in the magazine can possibly be up to date baffles me, some I have spoken with are also very frustrated.

Anyway, I will never again part with a dime when it comes to paying up front for a subscription with this publishing company, regardless of who owns or edits the magazine.

Keith.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
Been there , done that.

I posted some - ok, a lot of - sarcastic stuff over on ML about the publishing schedule and that got Pat so mad at me he sent me my subscription money back.

Unsolicited, said he could not in good conscience have a customer like me.

I figure I got the better end of that deal.

For giggles, swing over to Missing Links and search for MMiR, just to see how many times ' the issue is in the mail' has been posted.

It's an old line and getting older. Since the last promise was a double issue in December 07 and now it's Feb of 08.

I was looking for something completely different over on Planet Armor and stumbled onto a thread from 2006 where Pat encouraged all his good PA friends to go over to ML and tell folks complaining to 'eff off'.

Quoted here
04-04-2006 03:10 AM
pstansell Hey guys!
39 is at the printer and hopefully will be in the mail by the end of the month (or before). I should also have some at AMPS, along with the High Speed Tractor book. Most of issue 40 is complete, just bringing the Short Takes section up to date, laying out, nipping, tucking, etc. There is one thing missing from the cover proof seen here and that is the article on Accurate Armour's Land Rover Wolf WIMK, by Mike Rinaldi. Number 40 will be released on June 15th.
I figured y'all could use a little proof that we're not dead!
BTW, this thread found it's way on Missing Lynx and it generated a few nasty comments. Don't they monitor that thing for language? Anyway, I can't post there for some reason, so everyone please feel free to tell my less than truthful buddies to "eff-off."
I appreciate the patience of everyone interested in our magazine. Here's to a better 2006!
Pat
MMiR

endquote

Funny thing is we've had HOW many issues since Pat posted this to Planet Armor?

I dont think a single thing is going to change. But if you keep at it long enough, he might send you your money back too.

Jeff,
I got my ModelX issue 2 yesterday. nice looking magazine.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just order my copies when they come out....so I don't have anything invested. I really like the magazine when I get 'em!
I've never seen the modelX mag before. What is its orientation?

First ModelX Issue review can be seen here, mate!

Great mag, IMHO...........
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,

Jeff Herne
Editor, MODELx

Well put all I stated was he has a hand in it Modelx.

As Publisher is he not in charge when it hits the Newsstand?

Well look forward to both issues.

Was a pretty good first Issue.

Look forward to the Second Issue.

I also think these are excellent mags and usually on time at the store.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/books/euromodelismo/empa01.htm
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC
Almost March and big NOTHING as usual from MMiR. (Typical)..

Quoted Text

Jeff,

I know that Pat's double-issue of MMiR is real close, and he's back on track with Issue 44.

Jeff Herne
Editor, MODELx

Jeff obviously your idea and understanding of " REAL CLOSE" and "BACK ON TRACK" is very different than mine and the many others who have subscribed to his publication!!

I think my post on 31 January (see below) may well be more accurate...IF we are lucky

" The verbal contact I had assured me we would see the magazine before Christmas! Since then (January) I was told, the models were being built in house but were not yet finished .

Well that indicates it (articles) could not be complete at that point nor the magazine ready for sending to the printers (also not in the USA I might add). The time lag then has to be a month or more before mailing out to the subscribers?
So I am guessing March maybe?"

Sad state of affairs and I only hope you don't get shafted like we have....Keith.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 04:58 PM UTC
I know that this is a thread from 2008
has there been improvement in MMiR issue subscription print and delivery time?
I'm thinking of subscribing but I don't want lag time and hassle

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard the magazine ceases to even exist anymore, John Murphy left the editors position because they couldnt afford to keep him on?? something along those lines.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 02:46 PM UTC
hmm I don't know anything about that
I bought issue #52 recently from a book store. This issue indicates 2010. There is jimbrae's news article posted, Wednesday, February 10, 2010, describing issue #50

is this the usual spread on issues coming from AP?

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This thread from Missing Lynx is less than a month old and contains posts by both the former editor, John Murphy, and the publisher, Pat Stansell. If you ignore the mini-spat that erupts between the OP and first replier, there is some good information down towards the bottom of the page. Unfortunately, it seems that the guy who added consistency to the publication schedule has left.

It may be better to wait and see what happens since they discuss that issue #53 was ready to go back in November yet has not been released. But it is your money so don't make any decision based on anything I say.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1294442158/anybody+seen+a+new+MMiR+yet-
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 04:01 PM UTC
ok, thanks for the reply

lots of current information

I think I'll wait on a getting a subscription then, maybe next year to see how things are going there

_GOTOTOP