_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Returning to modeling after a 27 year hiatus
stedler
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi,

I haven't done a model in about 27 years and want to return to my missed hobby. I'm having trouble deciding what kind of model to build.
Technicaly I'm not new to the hobby but I haven't built a kit in so long I may as well be. I've considered the 1/35 scale Tamiya M1A2 Iraqi Freedom kit, or possibly the Tamiya 1/35 scale Leopard 2a6.

I'd like to find a kit of the HH-60H Combat Search and Rescue helicopter that the USAF Pararescue squadron uses, but all I can find are UH-60s. for those who don't know what the difference is the PJ's Helo has a Minigun on each side forward of the doors with a window for the gunners.

I figured I could probably make a uh-60 work if i could find a couple of scale mini-guns to mount on it and a good UH-60 kit.

If any one knows of an USAF HH-60 kit please let me know.

My concern is that, because of my disability, my hands sometimes shake when doing detail work. So I would like to find a kit that I could sink my hands into thats not going to be to difficult.

Last question, what model company is known for the best quality?
The person I talked to at the local hobby store didn't know much about military model kits, all he did were cars. But he said Tamiya makes a good product as far as car models go. But he wasn't sure when it came to military kits...

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

stedler
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby Max. The best military kits are by Tasca but there are only a handful of those : the Firefly The M4A1 and the Lynx. For ease of build Tamiya are good. For lots of fiddly detail Dragon.

Sorry I don't know anything about choppers though
 _GOTOTOP