_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
New member intro
Thor64
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hello Everybody

It's been quite a while since I've built any models but I've been finding it harder to resist picking up a kit when I visit the local hobby store. Then I found this great website and forum group and thought I would give it another try. As far as my skills go I would classify myself as an experienced beginner. I thought I did a good job on the models I built, but most of the detailing and weathering type techniques I tried didn't really turn out like I wanted. Not having someone to ask when things didn't turn out as expected was quite frustrating and probably the main reason I stopped. I hope you guys can put up with my questions until I get the hang of some of this, because all the good information on this site is turning out to be a little overwhelming.

My main interest is WW II AFV's and if somebody could recommend a couple of decent lower priced kits to practice on I would appreciate it. I don't really know which ones are on the less challenging side and which ones to stay away from. I also like the group build idea and plan on trying something for the Operation Barbarosa build. I'm leaning toward something on the Russian side. Maybe one of the light tanks.

On the personal side I'm 31 and live in Dallas, TX. My other hobby is flying small electric r/c planes.

Thanks
Jeff M.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:55 AM UTC
welcome to armorama! any of the older tamiya kits are good to practice on. In fact the big "T"'s T-34 kit is super easy, relatively cheap, and could also be used in the group build. Anyway, once again welcome to armorama dude!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
Jeff,
welcome on board. I think you've just landed in the right place, where you can find lots of things to get always better at any level in the hobby. There's also lot of nice people always ready to help in case of need...
Ciao
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Welcome, Thor. Italeri's M-4A1 is a relatively easy, decent kit. I've built the hull twice now for Israeli conversions (M-51 with a Verlinden turret) and a turretless highly modified combat ambulance). I recently got another for about $15 that will finally be a simple Sherman. The new Academy M-3's are getting a lot of good press. They're about $25 retail, but you can get them discounted on line and at shows. Note, however if you chose these, the Brit M-3 should not have the interior basket under the turret and the M3-A1 American version has a 50 star flag decal which should not be used. :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi Thor64 welcome to the best site on the net
I know what you meen about techniques not working. Articles in magazines and books usually tell you what to do, but not how to do it. They never explain what can go wrong or why either. Yep there is a lot of information on this site and finding the answer to a particular question can be a difficult search. That's why similar questions get asked over and over again. One of the great things about this site is that your question will either be answered, or you will get a link to where the answer can be found. Unlike many other sites where some know it all rivet counter wastes the space by just saying "oh no not this tired old question, again", as if he ever answered it in the first place!
Anyway, I'm sure the armour boys will answer all your questions. I'm building my first piece of armour for a million years, for the Barbarossa campaign, they have given me lots of help with the subject matter already. If you ever want to ask questions about aircraft us fly boys are ready to help :-) Remember; you can't have to many Spitfires :-)
Mal
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hello and welcome! Don't be afraid to ask questions here. You're among friends who are all more than willing and able to help you in any way possible.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi Jeff..welcome to armorama...AFVs of the WW 2 is the main interest of many people here.believe that there are lots of thing that we will share here
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi,

A warm welcome to the best site on the net.

For the Barbarossa Campaign you can check at the topic Operation Barbarossa Group Build the list of vehicles and models available.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hey Jeff from Dallas. I'm Steve from Grand Prairie. Hope you are planning on attending scalefest in Mesquite at the end of May. email me at jdeltaarrow@aol. com and we can get together at the event. This is a gerat group of guys here and I'm sure you'll pick up all the info and how to's to expand your talents.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thor64,

I can only add my warm welcome to the others already stated!! Don't be shy, the only stupid questions come from me :-)

Enjoy!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:12 PM UTC
Welcome to the best modeling web site around.
The members here will all help with techniques and input an everything you could need.

Do yourself a favor - don't resist picking up the plastic - go with it!

Welcome
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Jeff & welcome back to the hobby.
Thor64
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
Thanks to everybody that responded to my intro. You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome.

Thanks
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP