History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
IRANIAN F-16s
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 02:47 AM UTC
I bought an old Janes Pocket Book 2 dated 1978, Major COmbat aircrafts.
Man it was so old and yellow, as i flip thru, i found the early F-16s. the first generation of the fighter. i couldnt help but notice in the topic on the Countries operating the F-16.
USA, DENMARK, IRAN

I thought they only manage to get hold of F-14? Did they manage to get the F-16. This would be an interesting build, a what if build...
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
Through the magic of Photoshop, found on the Iran Defence Forum

David
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Prior to the country falling apart they might have been talking about buying some F-16's. but I do not remember them ever getting any. They did the F-14's and still have a few flying, but to the best of my knowledge they never did get the F-16.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC
Like the others, I don't hink those F-16's actually got delivered. I know the F-14' didn't have the full avionics packages ours did, and after a couple of years a significant number had been set aside for maintenance. I think getting parts for them was the major part of the Iran -Contra scandal way back when. NOw there is a curiousity point. HOw many of those old F-14's are still flying. Hey, maybe we could sell them all the ones we have now pulled off the flight line...yuck --yuck--yuck. Say a million barrels of oil for each
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Their F-14 fleet is down to maybe a dozen or so planes. I seriously doubt those planes would last more than a couple of minutes or so in a fight with any decent Air Force. I am sure their pilots have next to no decent training and very little flight time since they cannot afford to have their planes break.

I see no problem selling them replacement parts for their planes. We just need to make sure to charge them accordingly for them and make sure each part has a crack in it as well. Our company had even been approached by their government about making parts for their C-130’s. Yeah, like that was going to happen.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
I did some more reading online, found out from F-16.net that IRan didnt get their F-16s delivered to them. But the south american President Chavez recently commented about selling his 21 F-16s to the Iranians. Man,...his F-16s are as old as me...i m not sure how much threat are they...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:57 PM UTC
I had forgotten that he sold them some. It does not help them out much. Putting third rate pilots into decent aircraft just offers more targets for top rate pilots.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had forgotten that he sold them some. It does not help them out much. Putting third rate pilots into decent aircraft just offers more targets for top rate pilots.

So Chavez really did sold it to them?
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought an old Janes Pocket Book 2 dated 1978, Major COmbat aircrafts.
Man it was so old and yellow, as i flip thru, i found the early F-16s. the first generation of the fighter. i couldnt help but notice in the topic on the Countries operating the F-16.
USA, DENMARK, IRAN

I thought they only manage to get hold of F-14? Did they manage to get the F-16. This would be an interesting build, a what if build...

Iran did sign contracts in I believe 1976 for for a large F-16A/B order of 160 aircraft with options for more. A good chunk of that order was in fact built but none were ever delivered to their intended customer due to the Iranian revolution. Ironically the completed Iranian F-16's ended up being the first F-16's purchased by Israel.

Had the revolution not occured Iran's procurement plans were quite amazing. Had they all been completed Iran would have recieved at least the 160 F-16A/B's, probably as F-5 replacements, The F-14A order would possibly have doubled to around 150, 300 F-18L's were also on order to replace the nearly 300 Phantoms - new examples of which were still being delivered, and 7 AWACS were also on order. In addition the Shah asked for but was denied B-1's. There was also still at least the possibility of orders for the F-15A/B even though the F-14 had won the contract for that requirement.

PS

Don't make blanket assumptions about the quality of Iranian pilots. Recall that they fought an 8-year war with Iraq (in which F-14's in particular were very active and effective) and the veterans of that war are the instructors of today.
f_4phantom1959
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC
For some good reading on the IIAF use of F-4 Phantoms & F-14 Tomcats get the Osprey Boooks

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S6585~ser=COM~per=6

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S7875~ser=COM~per=6

Fred
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 04:39 PM UTC
I had heard that the Shah had ordered F-16s but that we refused to deliver them to the new Islamic Republic after the revolution. Yet, there are the pics, and I have to believe what is in front of my eyes. Chavez must have sold his F-16s to Iran (he had previously threatened to, although the terms of their sale to Venezuela forbid transfer of the jets to any third party without our approval, as if he would care about honoring a contract with his enemy, "el Imperio"). But if Venezuela wasn't able to aquire spare parts for those jets, how do the Iranians expect to be able to? Israel isn't about to come through for them this time around!
Also, thank God we never sold the Shah those B-1 bombers! Can you imagine?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,386 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
Some info, don't know if it's all accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Republic_of_Iran_Air_Force

Some videos:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aZ7qSg0NY

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfdKlG2jT4&feature=related

F-4's, F-14's, F-5's, Mig-29's, Hind and some other choppers but no F-16's
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
I wouldn't count out the Iranian pilots or their ability to re manufacture parts for the F-14s.

No, not all of the avionics were sold to the Iranians, but the F-14s they did get, retained their radar. The Iranians lacking a dedicated AWACS aircraft, used the F-14s in the 10year Iran/Iraq war as an AWACS aircraft, directing the other number of Iranian aircraft towards incoming Iraqi aircraft....pretty ingenious in my book.

In all this time, I am sure that Iran has taken apart the F-14 and are able to produce their own parts for the plane. Otherwise, why have they not gone after more modern aircraft to replace their aging fleets. Yeah they got an influx of equipment from Iraq during DS1, but other than the Mig29s, which were the early variants and no match for a Tomcat....they really just got more of what they already had.

Who really knows how many F-14s are still flying over there. All I know is if the US goes to war with them at some point, I would be sending all the F-22s in to try and sneak up on the F-14s to take them out, as you know the Iranians are going to use them as an AWACS plane directing other aircraft towards incoming US planes. Take out the F-14s, and the ground radar, then they would be blind.

Would be a good test to see if the F-22 is really as stealthy and as good as they say it is and is the only way you are going to pull one over on the Iranians. Otherwise, you send in F-15s, 16s, 18s, and there are going to be some aircrews that aren't coming back. Yeah, the US can throw a ton of aircraft at them, but there are going to be alot of losses.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had heard that the Shah had ordered F-16s but that we refused to deliver them to the new Islamic Republic after the revolution. Yet, there are the pics, and I have to believe what is in front of my eyes. Chavez must have sold his F-16s to Iran (he had previously threatened to, although the terms of their sale to Venezuela forbid transfer of the jets to any third party without our approval, as if he would care about honoring a contract with his enemy, "el Imperio"). But if Venezuela wasn't able to aquire spare parts for those jets, how do the Iranians expect to be able to? Israel isn't about to come through for them this time around!

Actually the revolutionay government cancelled the F-16 order after production was well underway. It had nothing to do with the U.S. refusing to deliver them. And I seriously doubt that Venezuela has transferred any F16's to Iran. What is Iran going to do with them?
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually the revolutionay government cancelled the F-16 order after production was well underway. It had nothing to do with the U.S. refusing to deliver them. And I seriously doubt that Venezuela has transferred any F16's to Iran. What is Iran going to do with them?

Put a few jihadis under the pylons and drop them on the infidels...
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David

They are plastic kits. They were featured on Hyperscale in one of the group builds about a year ago
Cheers
Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

They are plastic kits. They were featured on Hyperscale in one of the group builds about a year ago
Cheers
Al

Headlines: Scale modellers cause National Security scare.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/airforce-equipment.htm
No F16, handful of F14 and Mig 29. I think some of the Migs are the ones that fled to Iran during Desert Storm.

Shaun