_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hi everyone

I'm quite new to the world of modeling armor and figurines. Primairly I model world war two warships. Right now i'm working on 3 projects. The first is a diorama of the wreck of the Bismarck as she looks today. The second one is a recent project on the heavy Japanese cruiser Atago. The third and final one is one I want to work on for quite awhile. Its a diorama of a german panther tank, accompanied by troops and destroyed French town/villiage. So far the painting on the Panther hasnt been great because the masking I tried didnt work. I am hopeful that things will turn out, but I think I need a miracle (or alot of practice).
Personally, I'm 23 and from eastern Iowa. I'm employed by UPS finishing school and doing my hobby on the side. I also play hockey for enjoyment and relax with friends when I can.

Josh in Iowa
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Josh in Iowa . I would really like to see your work on the Bismarck...what's the chances of posting a few pics? As far as the Panther goes, don't give up hope, just keep on posting your questions and the answers will turn up.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:30 PM UTC
Welcome on board Iron Panther

Just as Sherman Freak I`m really curious to the pics of the Bismarck dio the more I was walking with the same idea No hard feelings though :-) :-)
Well what can I say any question you have you can simply post it here and you`ll get answer from at least one of our 2300+ members.
and remember there isno such thing as a stupid question and if there is a stupid question then it`s the one that isn`t asked.

Welcome on board and I hope you have a good time here

m:-)
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi IronPanther,

I have joined this board just a bit earlier.... I am also curious to see some pictures of your models, especially the Bismarck.... And indeed, if you poas a question, advise usually will come flooding in... sometimes it is even given before you can even ask for it :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
Welcome to THE best modeling web site anywhere.
You will get more than you ever bargained for here.
One rule - participate at whatever level you are comfortable. The only bad question is the one not asked.
There are over 2400 people who are ready and able to help.

Welcome to DutchBird too.

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
hi IronPanther ....welcome to Armorama...sounds you have 3 wonderful projects on the workbench.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Josh welcome to the best site on the net
Pics would be great :-)
Mal
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
hi Josh,
my name is Chris, i'm 45 and live in Fridley , MN. so we are practically neighbors. i am mainly a figure painter and i do some armor. my main interest is late war German Waffen-SS and what-if scenarios. i also collect 12" German action figures. hope to see ya around.

Chris
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC
Welcome guys !!

We're glad to have you aboard and hope you all will enjoy this journey into modeling !!

Welcome again!

Danny
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
Welcome aboard!
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:01 PM UTC
I'm planning on buying some film tomorrow, even though I havent made much progress. The kit of the Bismarck I have is an old Heller 1/400 of the Bismarck I picked up when i was snooping through a toy store in Germany. I lost the instructions to it and just kinda built it by memory, which left alot out. The color was never what I wanted so after a year or so I scrapped it pretty much and ordered a new one online. So now I'm taking all that junk, along with any pics and reading material I can find and putting it to good use. I havent gone very far cause I'm not sure how to make the deck and the superstructure look rotten. From the underwater photos, the steel looks in pretty good shape over all, its the teak deck that would get the most attention I think. Anyways, I will have pics up of the almost finished model along side the wreck one soon hopefully. Till then...

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
I once saw a gorgeous model of the Titanic as she looked taday. I've also seen some pictures of the Yamato being done in Japan (man that puppy was torn up( I would love to see pics of your Bismarck....I still have the National Geogaphic on that one. Oh,................ welcome to the club. We're a lot of friendly people here so come along and meet everyone (sounds like a bit from an old cartoon---HA)
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hello and welcome! I eagerly await the photos of your work and picking your brain for any and all techniques used for beating up the ship. As far as problems with painting armor camo goes, don't sweat the small stuff. Repaint any bigger errors, and weather the heck out of the areas with smaller boo-boos! #:-) See you around.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 05:53 PM UTC
ive heard the easiest way to weather decks is pastel chalk, just grind up some colors and apply a laquer or something....the thought escapes me at the moment....and then put the colors down and seal it in and there you have it.....thats my idea for now for weathering the Bismarck.....I still need to drill out the holes for the turrets yet and then probably re-paint the whole deck again. i already have the shell holes burned out. i did that with a soddering iron...as messy as it was i think it worked out pretty good. havent bought any flim yet but thats on the agenda for tomorrow, since now im offically on spring break.

Rangers Lead the Way

Josh
 _GOTOTOP