_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Workbench Height
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
All,

I'm trying to get serious about my modeling and I find myself at the bench for longer hours lately. I was wondering what workbench height most of you prefer? I realize it's an individual preference based on your height, body makeup etc.

I'm 5'10" and my bench is currently set at 33.25" When I'm seated that puts the top of the bench at about the bottom of my rib cage. I have to use a magnifier most of the time and I do feel like I'm looking down all the time.

If I bring the bench up higher or lower the chair my arms are at a pretty severe angle. Anyway just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,
Lou
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
mine's somewhere between 32-34" (don't recall off hand) Standard Desk height is about 29-30" Counter is 33-34 IIRC... set the bench top where it's most comfortable to you. I'm actually going to raise the one where my Mill and Lathe are to a height comfortable while standing..... as I rarely sit while machining, and if i do it's on a Stool anyway.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Lou,

My workbench is about 31 inches high, which is fine for most of my modeling. For those times a little extra height is necessary I built an extra piece, basically a removable shelf, that adds about 7 inches.

Scott
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Lou,
I worked as machines and equipment buyer for some time - we had a lot of international normalization documents specifying also height of workbenches for standing and seating person. I don't have this data at home so you'd have to wait to nex year I'd send you these info (I'll try to find that stuff, I should have it at my computer at work).
Some people work to find the best height so maybe it will be worth checking...
If you're interested - PM me, ok?

Andrzej
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi.

Set your height approximately where'd you'd like it then invest in a good comfortable height adjustable chair. I frequently change chair heights depending on how close I want to be to my work (although it could be an age thing).

Happy new year.

Cheers
Shane
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC
Different heights for different jobs, is my preference ... and probably just what I got used to. When I build I usually sit on the sofa and use the coffee table (not a low one), but when I paint, my work bench is almost chest high. It gets me closer to the subject and also allows me to rest my arms/elbows on the edge to steady movements.
Its probably best to try and build/paint at a few different heights/locations to see what works best.
LouN
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
All,

Thank you all for the feedback. As I mentioned to Andrzej offline I have a tendency to over analyze these types of things. My wife says I should just be quiet and build, perhaps I'll take her advice for once!

Regards,
Lou
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

As I promised Lou - here is "professional" approach to a subject. Hope you'll find it useful.

Andrzej
 _GOTOTOP