_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuild Something
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
I want to Scratchbuild Something but ccan't think of anything to build HELP ME

MATT
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi there

The problem first is to figure out what subjects you are into, then to know your own level of build capability and desire (part scratch using kit as basis or full scratch).

The field of modelling is too vast to just pick a subject out of the air for you. I go on the basis of what I have a personal connection with, and that I know fairly well as a subject already. With that personal connection and some background knowledge it helps me figure out the basic info and detailing to make a start on planning the build.

Also if a kit already exists in the scale you want, unless you are scratching some part that is not readily available or is too expensive aftermarket, then why would you bother scratch.

You must 'FEEL THE FORCE' and choose a picture (any picture from the sumblime to the rediculous) from whatever era, forum, or subject matter that comes to mind, then choose a scale (any scale), then just plan and build from there.

That is half the pleasure that you chose the subject, planned it out, then did it to whatever level you were able. Everyone on here has given me support in the builds so far and you would get the same help with yours. Asking for any help is so easy on here.

All the best

Nige

LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC
What I'm thinking of doing is a Kubelwagen Typ 82 in 1/32nd scale because today I bought some German 1/32nd Afrika Korps guys and I have no other way of using them.

MATT
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:48 AM UTC
Look at this web site and pic a vehicle that is not already being made by a kit maker or would have to be converted to your desired version.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/default.asp

Otherwise you would put in a lot of effort to build a look alike model that will be worse than, as good as, or better than, but would be judged by the other kits that are being produced on mass from the kits at less effort.

Unless there is a version that is not already available by resin conversion, the wee kubelwagon is like the willys jeep, very much liked as a vehicle, but very much modelled in every variation possible.

Unless you just want to scratch it for the sake of the challenge, this would not be my choice! But that is the fun of choosing what YOU build.

Nige

_GOTOTOP