_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
If you ever travel in California (Hwy 101)...
TankMage
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hello All ,

This is about the tank collection at Camp Roberts in California. As a favor for the
curator of the museum (a really nice chap), I promised him that I will spread the
word about his establishment.

The "museum" is located just north of Paso Robles, CA, along Highway 101. It is about
a moderate 2 hour drive south of San Jose, CA (about 3 from San Francisco).

The collection include a motley assembly of Cold War tanks and a museum building (with
small arms and stuff). When I visited the armor collection consisted of:

1 x M47 Patton
1 x M2 Bradley prototype
1 x M7 Priest
1 x M114 APC
1 x M41 Walker Bulldog
1 x M48A1 Patton
1 x old armored personnel carrier (US)
1 x M8 Greyhound
1 x M3 Halftrack
1 x Skdfz 251
1 x Iraqi AA gun
1 x T-34/85
1 x Beep (if I am correct)

Now, the curator claims that more armor will be coming to Camp Roberts. Also, there
are LOTS of modern armor (in a nearby vehicle storage lot) including M1, M48, M60,
M113. When I was there, there were a whole lot of USMC LAV-25 on a firing exercise.

Nearby (about 15 miles away) there is Fort Hunter Liggett. That is where the US Army
and Cal. National Guard does their live fire exercises. The shooting range is right
by the side road, so if you are lucky, you can spot US tanks firing live rounds.
I saw M2 Bradleys firing TOW missiles.

So, if you have trouble accessing the Littlefield Collection, or if you are travelling
along highway 101 between San Jose and L.A., then Camp Roberts is the place to be!
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hey cool, I visit there all the time!
Love the collection they have :-)

Also Fort Hunter Liggett is realy cool, always something going on (I sometimes hear the tank fire from my house)

Have you ever been to Camp SanLouis, they got an F4Phantom and other light tanks on display. cya around, and maby around town
badpony
Visit this Community
entire network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 05:02 PM UTC
sounds interesting, I may have to go take a look at this place (kind of interested in seeing a tank up close and in person)

ex-Bay Area resident here, now residing in Sacramento
 _GOTOTOP