_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Automotive
This is a group for automotive scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/24 excavator
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys. Spotted this on IPMS Stockholm today and thought you might be interested. Barv ... where are ya?
Im not really interested in civilian items, but this guy has used his images in a way that makes each stape easily understandable and almost that us mere mortals could manage this.
Happy Christmas guys!!!!

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7548&st=0
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC
Thanks for that link, Frank. The pics really clarify the process of the building.

Hisham
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi there

I gathered up some sales brochures and the like with the mad idea of trying such a build. Building the curved body panels was something I didn't have a clue about, TILL NOW!!!!

If I were rich enough I would love to buy one of the KFS excavators and build it as the typical JCB. Reality being I ain't rich enough (to justify to the wife anyway buying another round to it that would be ages in the building and cost so much) I wish I were rich enough in the skills to build one of these excavators from scratch like this.

I am defenitely bookmarking the blog and am going to study every bit. Maybe help me summon up some courage to try this one out some time. The blog is such a stage by stage picture book, he leaves very few construction details to the imagination. Even an idiot like me could make a good stab at it with a bit of encouragement.

Looks like he needed some dutch courage to tackle the tracks. Mine would be a few whiskys I think. I don't know about the quality of my final build compared to his, especially after a couple of whiskys.

Nige
Removed by original poster on 12/26/07 - 06:44:46 (GMT).
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 11:29 AM UTC

Great build
Nige ....this may help you a bit

Old build ...see here
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/BARV/GPM-PT2/
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hi Barv

That photobucket of yours is great. I like the clamping details showing how you get that awkward bucket pivot end widening out to the main frame. I can remember a wee bit on how you heat treated the ends of the pivot pins to enlarge the heads. I just can't get over how you prevent everything else round about the bit you are heating from turning into a glob of molten gunk.

I like the way the guy with the excavator built up the body rough shaped panels with putty and then sanded it down to get the curves right. I think I would have been daft enough to try building up layer after layer of plasticard to do the same as he did with something more maliable.

"Your photo bucket blog veel alzo go on zee list"

Maybe pull those excavator plans a wee tadge closer to the top of the 2008 "round to it list".

Thanks Steve

fatty1975
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys. Spotted this on IPMS Stockholm today and thought you might be interested. Barv ... where are ya?
Im not really interested in civilian items, but this guy has used his images in a way that makes each stape easily understandable and almost that us mere mortals could manage this.
Happy Christmas guys!!!!

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7548&st=0

Hi there, thank you for liking my work and post's, If any of you would like to see more pictures of my build please feel free to ask and i shall post them. Also if anyone has any questions about the build.

Also do you have a link to the post on the IPMS Stockholm site about my build?

Thanking you

Paul.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi there Paul

A really fantastic build. I have always fancied giving one of these a try. Seeing your blog it makes it look so easy now. Fantastic detail.

All the best

Nige
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there, thank you for liking my work and post's .............
..... Also do you have a link to the post on the IPMS Stockholm site about my build?

Hi Paul. Thanks yourself ... thats one great build ... and your text and images described in a great way how you got there. It was a pleasure to read through it, so I posted a link here as I knew many more would appreciate it as well.

link to IPMS Stockholm thread

If you want the Swedish text translated, let me know.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:26 PM UTC
He's the master... Dang! He makes it look as if the whole thing came from a kit!
 _GOTOTOP