Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
'Great Escape' Vet Dies at 92
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC
Australian Broadcasting Corporation | December 24, 2007

The last New Zealander involved in the World War II breakout from a German prisoner of war camp made famous by the 1960s movie "The Great Escape" has died.

Mick Shand, a Battle of Britain fighter pilot, was 92.

Mr Shand was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in September 1942 after his 60th sortie, but the same month his Spitfire was shot down while trying to destroy a train in Holland.

Imprisoned in the notorious Stalag Luft 3 at Sagan, southeast of Berlin, Shand took part in the 'Great Escape' of March 1943 when 76 RAF officers tunnelled their way to freedom.

Almost all the escapees were recaptured and 50, including three New Zealanders, were then shot dead on Hitler's orders.

Mr Shand, who spent four days on the run, said in a recent newspaper interview that it was only by the grace of God that he was not singled out to be shot after his recapture.

The escape was the basis for the 1963 film "The Great Escape" starring Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Richard Attenborough.

RIP.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
R.I.P.

I watched the movie yesterday on TV. I watched the documentary about the escape on Discovery last year but can't remember if Mr Shand was interviewed.
Rittersbach
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
As I sit here in the comfort of my living room by the fire, I can only give thanks to this brave man and all others, including my father who gave their lives for our freedom. May you all reast in eternal peace.

warm regards,
Jeff