_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Frag Five armor
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 1,370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hello all
Thought I'd link this group to the armor group to show my progress with scratch building both the Frag Five armor kit and the turret for the HMWWV M1114.
Here is an example of what I'm doing. If you're interested in its evolution from scratch please check out the thread below.
Many thanks
Bill
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/109432&page=1
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Bill,
looks very well built to me (though not an experienced plastics modeler).
Another thing that impressed me is that dimensions are in milimeters...

Enjoy a happy New Year,

George
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 09:28 AM UTC
George
Thanks for your positive comments. The turret has evolved a fair bit since I posted here. I'll soon post the turret in it's completed form, well as complete as it is, I am always open to constructive comments.
Must be nice in Greece. What is it that you work in, wood?
All the best
Bill
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
I say that is some excellent scratch building. I thought I was looking at the real thing. MM is the unit that the US should have adopted along with the rest of the world but being the US, as always, they want to be stubborn and stick with the most redundant measuring unit on the face of the planet.... Oh well. The mm unit is by far the easiest unit to work with.
the_cadre
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hey Bill, this is really taking shape beautifully...I'm a sculptor and primarily work on figures, but must own up to a real love for Humvee's..I must admit I've been checking out your work over on armorama and seen some of the marvellous reference photo's you've been working from, they are great and have obviously helped a great deal to form an accurate guide to what you are working towards..the resulting work speaks for itself, it really is superb.

From my point of view it's great to see such clean and accurate work, wether it's in plasticard or putty...

Really enjoying your build, please keep us up to speed with your progress..

In the front row...with popcorn

Roy.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC
Charles
Well coming from you that is nice to hear. You have been an inspiration for me and very forth coming with information over the years eg. Calibre 45 nuts and bolts. Thanks you
Bill
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
Roy
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, all the web images plus the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have been helpful with measurements and detail shots of specific angles that have all contributed to the research aspect of any reality based object. Of course "Frenchy" has been a not so secret weapon to many modelers here at Armorama, looking for that unusual variant or detail.
I really like the complexities of how people modify vehicles to suit a particular problem or circumstance. The HMMWV has been an endless subject for many modelers, LRDG vehicles, Land Rovers, Jeeps and recently Strykers and LAV's have all been in my piles of kits to do.
In another thread "Mother" commented on how scratch building skills have really blossomed lately. Scratch building is of course the combination of technical skill and experience but as well artistry. Yourself being a sculptor must appreciate the art of modeling too? Just take a look at "Ti's" work from the previous post.
I'm new to scratch building and have a lot to learn but I have found my place here where I can learn from real modeling masters.
Very nice website by the way, have a great 2008.
Bill
the_cadre
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yourself being a sculptor must appreciate the art of modeling too?

Bill

You bet Bill..I can certainly appreciate the skill involved in turning an out-of-the-box kit into something unique and sometimes even a personal statement. As far as I'm concerned, you can 'say' a lot with a vehicle, just as you can with a figure (or figures).

Looking forward to more of your updates.

Roy.

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Whew, this has been a long haul but I enjoy it. Here are some up dates to the turret for the Frag Five project. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Bill
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Bill!!! You are master my good man. Awesome details. I still thought I was looking at the real thing. Wow!!!!

Thank you for the kind words Bill. I am saving every pic because I will be building a Humvee model with the LRS 3 when I'm done with the M1129 mortar stryker I'm working on at the moment.

Fantastic work. I'm loving every pic you post.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
Charles you are too kind. I'm way too slow but I am excited about the results. I never thought I be one to scratch build anything, but it is because of the likes of you and others that inspired me to have a go at it, that and information is critical. I watch for all your projects and I'm sorry I missed your HEMTT build, I've got all the stuff to tackle one myself one day.
Keep up the great work.
Bill
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

every new picture is better than your previous.

I am working on metal (having gone through all kinds of models in the last 50 years).

George
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
George you are very kind to say.
I take it that the images on your profile page are your replica fire arms? Fantastic and diminutive, what an unforgiving medium you have chosen to work in. I thought I had it bad cutting a piece of styrene, you are turning steel!
Well done
Bill
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
Boggie,
That looks just like home! I don't usually ride the 1114 turret, but I did have occasion to the other day, and remembered (from another thread?) that you need pics.
I know that you'll be adding a Rino, so this won't be an SF vehicle. Unfortunately, if doing a CF one, you'll have to add the anti-sniper nest, which would hide all of that excellent work.
Ours differ in a few areas: We use a Mk 19 ammo can. (Come heavy or don't come at all!)
We also do not use the hatch. And we burn a chunk out of the front shield for the Helfire.
I believe you needed pics of where the power cable feeds out from the battery box, and our ammo stowage box. Hope these aren't too late:

Lastly, the turret needs to be raised about 1 1/2 inches. There's a brush all the way around the edge made of nylon bristles.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 03:00 PM UTC
18 Bravo
So sorry I missed this when you posted it, I hadn't subscribed to this thread and as a result it slipped by. Thanks a lot for both detail shots, I wasn't far off the cable for the battery. I had no idea the turret gunner had Hell Fire missiles up there as well, real multi- taskers. I'll have to hunt around for a shield with a piece cut out of it so I'll know the difference, it is never too late to change things. I had seen the turret brush along the bottom edge but it escaped me, I'll have a go and see it I can do it convincingly. When you say you use the Mk 19 ammo box you mean the ammo can that holds the ammunition for the 50 or the ones used inside for storage?? I thought the one I used for the 50 looked a tad skimpy, I do have larger ammo tins but I can't tell the difference between the one for the grenade launcher ammo and the one for the 50 cal.
I have the mission models shell casings and the spent clips so I'll be adding that to the rubble as well.
Good of you to take the pictures I really appreciate it.
Bill
 _GOTOTOP