_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Old school build
Jon_Vancil
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 175 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hey all!

I'm considering buying an older kit after Christmas and doing a build on the site. The twist Is I want to do the build using only the tools from the list seen in the "Beginning of the End" thread. That would mean no airbrush ,no PE, parts no AM stuff. Just an OOB build on an old Tamiya kit. Any modifications would have to be something readily at hand for the begining modeler. Well, any questions? Is it a good idea?
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 02:17 PM UTC
Sounds like fun, but I "need" my air brush lol.

Darryl
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 05:07 PM UTC
just be carefull choosing your project... some of the older tamiya stuff is absolutly horrible!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
Hmmm, good idea, but I would suggest an early German Panzer (Tamiya's pz. IV Ausf. D is good) or something very nice like the Pershing, as they have relatively simple, single colour paint schemes. Best to stay away from Panthers and Tigers...

Cheers
Henk
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all!

I'm considering buying an older kit after Christmas and doing a build on the site. The twist Is I want to do the build using only the tools from the list seen in the "Beginning of the End" thread. That would mean no airbrush ,no PE, parts no AM stuff. Just an OOB build on an old Tamiya kit. Any modifications would have to be something readily at hand for the begining modeler. Well, any questions? Is it a good idea?

Heck, you just described most of my builds! Gimme a Tamiya 88mm FLAK, a hobby knife and a spray can of Panzer Gray and I'm ready to rock.

You have my full enthusiastic support.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:32 PM UTC
The Italeri M47 is a great OOB build. Notwithstanding the kits of the last 30 years, this is an outstanding example of the moldmakers art. A little liquid glue to add texture to the cast surfaces and you are pretty much perfect.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP