Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Is it possible to get the job i signed for?
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:11 AM UTC
How do I at least better my chances of actually getting into the job i want in the Corps? I have heard from everyone that the Corps basically disregards what you signed up for and sends you where they need you. I understand and respect that practice, but all I want to do is drive tanks or at least be a rifelman. I don't want to get stuck in the rear with the gear. So, again, how can I better my chances to get into where I want to be?

-Mike
Removed by original poster on 12/17/07 - 18:39:21 (GMT).
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:25 AM UTC
Every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman. The finest on the planet in my humble Naval Opinion, so you have no worries in that department. If you don't qualify as a rifleman, you won't have to worry about the other job.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 03:21 AM UTC
I don't think you'll have to worry about getting Marine infantry. Tanker might be a bit more difficult since there aren't that many. It really comes down to your ASVAB score versus the needs of the service. I've seen plently of my friends get what they want and then again I just watched a buddy of mine who requested Infantry Officer get commissioned in the Transportation Corps, so who knows (man was he pissed!). Whatever it is, get everything in writing and make sure everything is perfectly spelled out for you. You shouldn't look dumb for asking. Best of luck.

Jeff
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 05:10 AM UTC
It really depends on you and your recruiter. When I joined the Marines I wanted to be infantry but my background wasn't exactly stellar so I had to enlist as " open contract" ie , needs of the Marine Corps. For me it was no big deal, I just wanted to be in the Marines. I thought for sure I would be Infantry but instead I end up an 1833 Amphibious assault crewman on the LVTP-7 A1s. If the Marines won't give you what you want, IN WRITING, look at the Army and see what they can do for you. I left the Corp in '94, and to make a long story short, ended up re-enlisting in the Army in '95. Been in the Army ever since then. Either way, there are actually quite a few combat arms MOS's available in both services beside Infantry or Tanks.. Take a little time to check 'em out.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
As the other have noted, the Marine Corps is smaller and requires much more flexibility than the other services. You may be trained as an infantryman and end up as a cook...or vice versa. To the extent possible, the Corps will honor any commitments they have made to you. Just make sure you understand what that commitment really is.

The other issue that comes into play is your own performance. If you want the best assignments and to get the oppotunities you desire, then you must be a top performer. If you are assigned to fill sand bags, then be the best sand bag filler in the Marine Corps. If you assigned to tanks, then be the best tanker in the world.....that means knowing every nut, bolt and widget on that monster. Be the most squared away at every inspection. Volunteer for your share of crap details. Help your buddies every chance you get. Lead, even as a Private!!

No matter where you end up, be like a flower.....bloom where you are planted.

Just a few suggestions from an "Old Goat".

Good Luck in the enlistment process.

Semper fi,
Dave
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info guys. It has really helped. My buddy Brad just re-upped this past week. He was a combat engineer for six or so years in the Corps. He invaded Iraq, bled at Nasiriya, and cleared Faluja. He has tried to get me into engineering but I don't think building or explosives are my deal. I have grown up shooting guns and living with Marines. My family has been engrained in the military for a couple hundred years. My soon to be brother in law just joined the air force and my brother is looking there as well. I have a meeting with my recruiter on wendsday to go over everything. Again, thanks for the info. There sure are alot of insiders around here. I am willing to go wherever the corps need me, but I would much rather be combat oriented. I have been an athelete and hunter forever. I can't wait to bust my ass for the flag.

-Mike
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman. The finest on the planet in my humble Naval Opinion, so you have no worries in that department. If you don't qualify as a rifleman, you won't have to worry about the other job.

DITTO!
casailor
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 05:50 PM UTC
Assignments are always "needs of the service". If you get exactly what you are promised by the recruiter on the contract you can enforce the contract to at least be trained for your promised MOS. During Vietnam I was promised Heavy Equipment Operator, but the recruiter put the code for Combat Engineer on the paperwork. I was told so sorry that's what the paperwork says. I eventually wound up in EOD school and after graduating and serving on a stateside assignment I came down on levy for Vietnam. When I got to Fort Lewis Washington to ship out the saw that I could type and assigned me as a clerk-typist-$500,000.00 of the taxpayer's money down the drain.
Good Luck
tanksplus
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC
Join the Air Force. Get Combat Air Traffic Control (CATC operators train and operate with Army SF and the like. Do 6 yrs and get out. Then join the FAA and make over 100,000.00+ a yr. or go into Pararescue in the Air Force and save downed pilots behind enemy lines.

Hoo ah!
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hello Mike,
You will get what you sign up for based on your qualifications. Before you do sign up you need to make sure that you really want to be a Marine and all that it entails. If you don't then join one of the other services. If you pick one of the other services make sure that you can live upto their expectations as well. Most people make the mistake and join the service just to learn a job skill or get an eduction and then run into issues when things don't go 100% to their liking. You must remember, you are a Marine, Soldier, Airman, Sailor, or Coast Guardsman first and foremost and will serve the needs of whatever service you join.
Bottom line is you can do whatever you want, but make sure you're qualified for the MOS that you want. I was a Marine for 21 1/2 years out of that I spent 14 serving on Tanks and various tank units. Eventually in your career you will move onto other career paths and leadership positions.

Good Luck

Tanks
Andy