_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Plaster buildings
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 01:03 PM UTC
I just bought my first one from Custom Dioramics. Anyone with experience with these things? I hope they are better than resin (Ew that awful dust! ) Thank you.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Yup
In this thread - To Each His Own

They are nice, nice detail even in plaster. The fit can be fun to figure out, usually no instructions. Most are straight forward, just take your time.
I would look to use the pin/hole method of reenforcing the joints. There hasn't been a lot of sanding for fit so I think you'll be happy.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:41 PM UTC
Beautiful diorama, and colorful instead of drab.

But what's the best undercoating between the plaster and outer paints? I was planning to use Floquil acrylic railroad colors on what I have.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 02:34 PM UTC
I use hobby acrylics almost exclusivly on buildings. Brands like Apple Barrel - you find them at places like Michaels or Walmart. Cheap ($1/bottle), thick, decent coverage, huge variety of colors. Then I go over that with model paints or oils.
In this one I used a corn/tan base, gray base (mix of black and white), and brick red. Then I used a burnt sienna was on the yellow, a huge mix of reds on the bricks, and a mix of oil blacks/grays on the the stones. Then an overall burnt umber wash with some black pin washes.
Oh yea - the green is a base of pine (?) green hobby paint, then oil washes to tone it down and blend it in.

Thanks for the complement.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 06:03 PM UTC
Nicely done Scott! -I prefer plaster to resin -but that may just be a preference. I think that it more closely resembles the prototype ( the real building) and I really like that it can be broken or carved easier and more realistic with much less work. In the 70's plaster was the choice for dios mostly hydrocal -its light and strong and takes a finish well.
 _GOTOTOP