_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
tools of the trade
Hermann_Goring
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
1. An Xacto knife with #11 blades
2. Some emery boards.
3. Nail clippers.
4. Dental picks
5. Some Testors brushes and paints. Buy the thinner AND brush cleaner, use them accordingly.
6. Tooth picks.
7. Masking tape.

i got this list of things i need from 1 of the members here well it may sound dumb to ask but i have no clue wat half this stuff is for so would anyone be abel to help me out

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
A good place to start is to provide the 1/2 that you aren't sure about and that will go a long way to providing guidance in an answer.
Also, please realize that the membership is a global membership speaking many different languages. When the spelling of things is incorrect it makes it very difficult to follow.

1. Xacto - to cut pieces from sprues and shave down cut nubs.
2. emery boards - sand down pieces
3. Nail clippers - another way to remove parts from sprues
4. Dental picks are for scraping and smoothing things
5. Brushes - self explanitory
6. Tooth picks - to many items to list
7. Masking tape-masking off for paint and to hold things together
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

2. Some emery boards.
3. Nail clippers.
4. Dental picks
5. Some Testors brushes and paints. Buy the thinner AND brush cleaner, use them accordingly.
6. Tooth picks.
7. Masking tape.

1. Its a hobby knife with a #11 blade in it. Very sharp and very pointy. Ask a salesperson at your hobby shop. They should be able to hook you up.
2. Nothing more than sanding sticks, or sand paper. Stop by a beauty supply store and look thru their sanding sticks. Lots of differing grades, and fairly inexpensive.
3. Or sprue cutters. Again, ask a salesperson at the hobby shop. Or...use nail clippers. (For removing the parts)
4. You can make these. Wire coat hangar cut to about 6" or so, and pounded flat on the ends with a hammer. Or filed to a point. Can be used for a variety of things.
5. Buy some paint thinner, and some decent brushes. Size 0 to #2 should work. (ask a sales person)
6. toothpicks...used for applying glue and or putty.
7. Masking tape- self explanatory.

Some things your friend forgot...
Glue- can't build a model with out it. The liquid types such as Testors, Tenax, or Tamiya are preferable.
Some paper towels or rags for clean up.
Modeling putty for filling seams. Several different brands available, Squadron Green, Squadron White, Tamiya...or you can use spot putty found in the automotive section of wal-mart or any auto parts store.

There is ton of stuff that could be listed, but this should get you started. Like Scott said, spelling is somewhat important here as the site is multi-lingual. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. "Q"
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:42 PM UTC
Explainations sound good to me. Spelling can be paramount when dealing with the varied members of the site.

Mike
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
Dont you gotta work tomorrow and shouldn't you be in bed "Q"
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

2. Some emery boards.
3. Nail clippers.
4. Dental picks
6. Tooth picks.
7. Masking tape.

i got this list of things i need from 1 of the members here well it may sound dumb to ask but i have no clue wat half this stuff is for so would anyone be abel to help me out

I'll try and make this simple since I love simple.

Your first option is to just run down to the nearest LHS (Local Hobby Shop), present your list to the clerk and beg assistance.

Barring that, these links might help get you started. You don't have to use these particular products, but it gives you an idea what to look for.

Hobby Knife with replaceable blades: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1171. The most important tool in the shed. You can also go with something more advanced like this: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2258 which offers more variety but you certainly don't need these to get started.

Sprue Cutter: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1172 . Very handy but not something you need right away. That's what the nail clippers are for - removing parts from the sprue without damaging them.

File Set: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1174 . You can also use cheap fingernail emery boards to start out.

Tweezers: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1175 . For handling those delicate bits. Again, common drug store tweezers are a cheap near-term alternative.

This Basic Model Supplies Kit includes a lot of the basic common items you will need all in one box - a throw-away hobby knife, some paint brushes and sand paper among other bits.

A basic military enamal paint set like this or this gets you enough paints to get started, all in one box and the second set includes some useful extra's.
 _GOTOTOP