_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
the beggining of the end
Hermann_Goring
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
well guys i think im just gone resighn from even trying to biuld or paint anything someone helped me find something thats good for new people and he sed u need this this and this and the thing is that all the stuff he sed i needed i have no clue what to use it for so theres no hope
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
Take your time and go through the site. There are plenty of articles to help guide you through what any and all gizmos are for. One good place to start is the tools and supplies forum. Just keep reading it. There are threads on how common household items can save alot of expense from having to buy expensive hobby shop stuff as well.

Just take your time, no need to give up before you start
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
Cody,
All ya need to get started is a model kit, some glue, and the desire to build it!

As you progress through the hobby, you will improve your skills, and add on to your tool and supply collection as you go along...as Mark said, don't kill the thought before you even took the first step...what are your interests?

~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Trust me anything you need you can figure out how to use.
I started the hobby with a few cheep paintbrushes, some paint, a tube of testors glue and a model kit. (Would recommend a sharp knife also.)
All you really need. As you get better your get some more tools that will help you better but that stuffs not needed.
Actually when I came back to the hobby I spent about $75 on modeling supplies. Found out it was mostly a waist of money.

Plus you’ve got us all here on the boards so if you have any problems or questions you can always ask.

No need to give up yet.
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 08:00 AM UTC
Youré in the right place for good sound advice here so don´t worry about the guy at the shop trying to sell you stuff you don´t need. I know that nobody here will make you feel like you´re asking dumb questions but you´ll get encouragement instead. Speaking as somebody with a limited budget I also know that you´ll also get advice on the economical options,but hey as you get better you´ll realise that spending more sometimes improves the results you´re looking for. Stick around & enjoy. There´s no magic involved but really you need time, patience & technique but the technique you can pick up around here. See you around.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC
Really all you need are the basics. A sharp hobby knife of your choice, glue (either liquid or tube), a file (needle file or simply a nail file, a kit of your choice and some basic paints that go with your kit. Olive Drab Green for US / Allied (generic colour), German "yellow" for mid to late war German AFV's, flat black useful for every kit, a soft pencil can be used to "metalize" those areas that need it. After that you slowly start accumulating paints and tools. The three expensive tools are a good quality air brush, compressor and if you are using photo etch, a bending tool.

Like everyone else has said, just ask and lots of people here will be happy to help out

Darryl
Hermann_Goring
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 09:22 AM UTC
thks guys ill atleast try for a bit befo i quit who knows maybe ill like it
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Cody,

I know that some of the models you will see here are wonderful recreations of the orginals in scale form, but trust me, no one has gotten there without a lot of trial and error Have fun, build your kits for you and stick with it.

Darryl
Hermann_Goring
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cody,

I know that some of the models you will see here are wonderful recreations of the orginals in scale form, but trust me, no one has gotten there without a lot of trial and error Have fun, build your kits for you and stick with it.

Darryl

i will
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC
Get some cheap models, some paint and some brushes. Build some things then start to worry about the perceived "hard stuff".
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
I never used to paint them at all and still enjoyed it. then I got to where I would paint and one thing led to another and here we are...... still not as good as most but I love what i have done. so just have fun. and build.
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never used to paint them at all and still enjoyed it. then I got to where I would paint and one thing led to another and here we are...... still not as good as most but I love what i have done. so just have fun. and build.

That's where I started as well, I used to get the biggest kick just getting the kit out of the box and built. It was a couple years later when I started painting my kits. I think the most important thing about this hobby is to find what subject you like the most cars, planes, ect. and have fun.
Jon_Vancil
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
Cody, in your first thread I listed over some things to get you started. I neglected to tell you why you need them so here goes and here are a few tips:
1. An Xacto knife with #11 blades You can buy a disposable hobby knife at wal Mart with this blade. Use it to trim off excess material, and take off the moulding lines on some of the parts. About $1
2. Some emery boards. Look in the fingernail section Again you can buy these at Wal Mart for $1 use these to sand down the "nubs" from cutting parts off the trees and cleaning up rough edges.
3. Nail clippers. Again Wal Mart fingernail section. Use these to trim the parts away from the trees. $1 or so.
4. Dental picks. This can come later but they come in handy when you need to manipulate small parts, and when making seams deeper, adding texture, etc. Free next time you get your teeth cleaned.
5. Some Testors brushes and paints. Buy the thinner AND brush cleaner, use them accordingly. Wal Mart sells a Military flats set that has a picture of a Tank and an Airplane on the front. The box also contans the thinner needed for the paint and I think a brush as well. I think the set seels for about $8-10
6. Tooth picks. I usually steal some from my favourite Mexican joint. Use them to apply glue. You can buy a large supply for about $1
7. Masking tape. Handy for holding large parts like tank hulls together while glue dries. wal-Mart sells rolls for about $1

So for about $15 and a trip to Wal-Mart you can get started. Remember though that so much of this hobby is like pitching a baseball, we can sit here and type our fingers raw and tell you everything we know but like throwing a baseball you have to find what works best for you and the only way to do that is mangle some plastic. Do not get discouraged, you will learn and grow if you have patience. I have a thread going now called "Confessions and Nostalgia" maybe you can give it a read and see how frustrations and wanting absolute perfection can ruin things in a way. This is a great hobby and a great site to be a part of!
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
Cody - check out any dollar stores that you may have in your neighborhood - you should be able to find -
Crazy glue
emory boards
tweezers
possibly some paintbrushes
sometimes they will have acrylic paint
print out a hobby lobby coupon from thier site and go buy an inexpensive kit
TAKE your time!! I'm 47 and have been building for a long time and i still have set-backs - every now and then one turns out pretty good and I learn something from it to apply to the next one- see if there is a hobby shop in your area that may have a club like IPMS. forums are a good thing but there's no way to replace the comraderie and fellowship of a club!
Feel free to PM or email me if there's anything I can do to help you out!
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
Cody: I guess what we'er saying is done give up. I think I can safley say for everything finsised ther are about two or three that are a total washout. It takes practise and patinece. Nobody it good to star with. good luck.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

3. Nail clippers. Again Wal Mart fingernail section. Use these to trim the parts away from the trees. $1 or so.

Nail clippers! That's the first time I've ever seen anyone else recommend nail clippers! Much cheaper than side cutters and just as useful, also you can clip your nails with them. I've used them for years. I'm a big fan of finding the cheaper alternative - it sort of makes up for paint at up to two quid a tin...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net//features/14

That's a good starting point for the basic tools...........
 _GOTOTOP