_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What's the thing with superglue and copper?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering this phenomenon for quite a time and decided to ask if someone knows the reason for this.
While building, I've noticed that copper reacts with superglue much more aggressively than styrene for example. It hardens in seconds.
If I'm gluing copper wire to a hole where it fits snuggle, a piece of wire dipped in CA has to be plugged in immediately, or it doesn't fit in because of the superglue is already set.
Could someone who knows his/her chemistry tell me what's happening?
tresni
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC
I believe it is because of the impurities and oxidation found on metal surfaces initiating the polymerization process of superglue, acting much like an accelerant. Polishing the surface with fine steel wool may slow this process down.

Cheers,
Rick
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 02:25 PM UTC
CA adhesives react with Moisture....... is the copper maybe "conducting" the moisture somehow??? Maybe......... Maybe it's the tarnish on it.... try giving it a cleaning with some steel wool or fine sandpaper (320 grit or finer)
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Not being a chemist, I do recall that there is some sort of reaction between copper and cyanide.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:00 PM UTC
It could be from the hydroxide that is bound to the surface of the copper. The CA probably has more of a affinity for the OH on the copper stripping and using it to polymerize the CA.

A side note, copper oxidizes almost as quickly as aluminum (which was used in house wiring for a short time in the 70's and early 80's). Fortunately, it doesn't insulate the copper as much the aluminum.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It could be from the hydroxide that is bound to the surface of the copper. The CA probably has more of a affinity for the OH on the copper stripping and using it to polymerize the CA.

A side note, copper oxidizes almost as quickly as aluminum (which was used in house wiring for a short time in the 70's and early 80's). Fortunately, it doesn't insulate the copper as much the aluminum.

Bingo! The hydroxide ions are the culprits. They act as catalyst to the CA and cause instant polymerization. One has to remember that CA glues first intentions was to close battlefield wounds as a first aid.
Cheers!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the info fellas.
 _GOTOTOP