_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Keep your glue tubes unclogged.
jimmayor007
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have been building car models since i was 10. The think what really aggravated me was the glue build up and the clogging on the tip. I found an easy way to keep the tip clean everytime i need it. Just go to your mom's sewing kit and get a needle. (or you can get em out of dem dare fancy shirts too) Just make sure it has a head on it. Then carefully push it through. Once in awhile it will bend so be careful. Get it started then turn it upsidedown and push the cap down. This keeps the tip clean and build up stays at the bottom of the tube spout . This make its real easy to grab and pull off when it collects and dries.

...read the full guide with pics here
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 02:08 PM UTC
That's a good idea - I'll remember that if I ever use tube glue again (not likely) now the tough one -how do you keep cyno from clogging?
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
If you are talking about tube glue, then you should look into using a hat pin to insert it into the tube before you reattach the cap.

If you are talking about CA (superglue) then here is my method for dispensing and keeping clogging to a minimum.

First with a new bottle, I cut enough of the applicator tip to accept some Teflon tubing. Teflon tubing and replacement applicator tips are available at most full service hobby/craft shops selling CA's.

I insert the tubing about half an inch into the applicator tip. If the hole is too big and the tubing slides too easily in and out, just let some of the CA build up around the hole to seal it.

The tubing offers an excellent applicator, offering more control and reach into tighter areas. If the tubing becomes clogged (usually it is at the end) you can pinch it to remove the clog causing it to be expelled or simply nip off some of the tube to remove the clog. The tube will eventually whittle its way down to the applicator tip. You can either insert a new tube or replace both the tip and tube. The small hole of the tube keeps air permeation to a minimum and you don't have to bite on that cap to try to remove it to apply a little CA. Which usually means tearing out your teeth in the process.

I've been doing it this way for a couple of decades now, in that time I've only even found the need to purchase CA every two to three years. The bottles sit out on the bench within easy reach.
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 01:40 PM UTC
Excellent - I will have to try that out.
 _GOTOTOP