Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Ticked off Kiwi :Medals stolen..
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi guys,
i wasn't too sure where to place this but this has really put a damper on my weekend (to say the least)!!
Our National Army Museum in New Zealand was broken into during the weekend and many important medals that are an integral part of our national heritage and pride were stolen.
Here is the link to the story from The New Zealand Herald .
My grandfather a veteran of W.W.2 has many medals that were donated to the museum by my father .The principal of this was so that the medals would hopefully be looked after for eternity.Hopefully these were not part of the collection stolen.
I hope those who were responsible are bought to justice and given lengthy prison sentences.
Cheers,
Shay
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:54 AM UTC
I don't understand what they plan on doing with them? Sell them to collectors?
Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
That's a shame, and I certainly hope they catch and hang the culprits to the fullest extent allowed by their laws. Unfortunately in many cases of art theft, the thieves and articles disappear for years.

"But that wouldn't mean hard collectors wouldn't be prepared to have the medals, even if they couldn't display them."

That sums up the mentality of those that participate in any form of art theft. Believe me, if there wasn't a market, and in all probability already a buyer for them, they wouldn't have been clipped. Hopefully the security cameras took clear enough photos to ID the guys.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:20 AM UTC
Shay: I share your outrage over this disgusting act. it reminds me of an incident that happen here not too long ago. Two brothers from Lubbock, Texas both died within a year of each other while serving in Irag. Each was awarded a Bronz Star, and Puple Heart. During the funeral of the second brother the parrents house was broken into and thier son's medals were taken. The person/s who would do such a thing are the lowest of the low. Fortunetly the Army wasted no time in replacing the awards.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
The guys who did this are absolute scum, What I would call them to their face is not very family safe. I have a feeling that it may have been a job done to order. In the article it says that they only broke into one display case and only took certain items from it. I hope for the sake of these %$#@&*( the Police catch them first before a memebr of the public "accidently" hits them with a car.....Rant over
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:59 PM UTC
Very sad state of affairs. This old world is going down the drain.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC
Shameful- I'm sorry this happened to you
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Things like this disgust me. Sounds like a crime against your country and heritage, does treason still carry the death penalty in NZ?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
Scum!!! I hope you get them back!

Long live ANZACS!
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Personally,
Once the scum are caught let Willie Apiata VC and his mates in the SAS teach these guys a lesson......

Chris
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 02:16 PM UTC
Morning folks,...
As I read it 104 medals went that including nine VC,s amongst them Cpt. Charles Uphams VC & Bar, Upham being the only ever infantry soldier to win the VC twice......I do hope these low lives cash and burn along with any person trying to purchase or has purchased them.....Im a Kiwi and this god dam hurts.....

Phil...
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 02:18 PM UTC
Morning folks,...
As I read it 104 medals went that including nine VC,s amongst them Cpt. Charles Uphams VC & Bar, Upham being the only ever infantry soldier to win the VC twice......I do hope these low lives cash and burn along with any person trying to purchase or has purchased them.....Im a Kiwi and this god dam hurts.....

Phil...