_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Automotive
This is a group for automotive scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Mack R800RSX 1/32nd scale
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi all ,
This is a project started about 9 years ago and has sat in a box till today.
I needed a "change" so have decided to try and breathe some life back into this build. It started life as a Monogram Snap-Tite Mack R-Series given to me in a rather sad state - minus chassis, it was just the cab, hood and two fuel tanks.
Anyways this is sort of what it should end up like:

and heres a few pic's of where I got to all those years ago :

It should actually be triple channel chassis rails, think I'll redo them properly this time.

The cab was a real "glue and paint bomb" diaster zone when I received it, I had removed the sleeper box and fabricated a new rear panel. I made a start on the diffs and from memory thats when it got relegated to the 'maybe one day' box.

Finally heres a quick mock-up of the new hood and fender shape - just trying to decide if I'll go for the older style fender (as per 1:1 photo or the newer style shown here) decisions decisions decisions

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
Casper,

That Mack is coming along really nice. Keep us updated.

Jim
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 04:24 PM UTC
Casper,

It should really say something about the level of your work when your "change of pace" project would likely be many a modeler's highest achievement. Truly excellent work. And once again I have to admire your chosen subject matter. I love to see older models given new life (I do this with actual vehicles all the time). It's especially interesting the way you have surpassed the original kit's limitations by such a wide margin. Please keep us posted as to the build's progress.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC
Many thanks for the kinds words Jim and Jim.
I'm just considering committing the ultimate modeling sin and changing what I intend to do with this project . Have just been looking at some Ref material and thought maybe ?.
But before anything can really progress I have to cast the cab (insurance policy, + this cab can be used in a number of other 'ideas').
It's actually quite nice working with the smaller scale again.
Thanks again, and will update as things fall into place.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
I don't know if this will help with your research, but have you checked out this site?

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/mack/

Jim
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
Thanks for link Jim, Have been to that site several times before, unfortunately nothing there that I don't already have an original copy of (I've been collecting Mack info for 20+ years ).
I'm just tossing about the idea of heading towards the pic's 001 and 002 found here:
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/casspir/Scale/MackMisc/

other possibilities are pic's 007, 008, 009. TBC . Anyways just slapping some tyres and rims together at the moment, then I'll do some square fuel tanks just to see how things look (hopefully I've still got some 1/35th checker plate).
 _GOTOTOP