_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
F-16s done
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi all,

Here are 2 F-16s which I just completed recently.

First up is a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16A of the Israeli Air Force.The Eduard PE cockpit set was used. Decals from Isradecal. Painted in Gunze 310, 313 and H50 (lime green). The chaff and flare updates were from the Wolfpack resin set.

Next up is an F-16C from our very own RSAF. It is the Academy 1/32 kit with Siam Scale decals.

I'll get better pictures shot soon. Enjoy for now. Feedback and comments most welcome!
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Madcat,

Nicely done birds! Glad to see "Madcat in Action".

May I add a few constructiive comments?
Firstly, while your colors (Israeli F-16) are meant to represent a faded and well-weathered jet, the markings on the other hand are in stark and high contrast against the body colors. I think you could "feather" them down with a few light strokes of "buffy" overspray to blend the markings and body color together. Not an easy task if you have not tried it, but the end result would be highly realistic?

Secondly, your burners are well masked and toned in several appropriate metalic colors, however being ceramic on the interior, the whites are too clean for a used jet? I think that area can be weathered a bit also - maybe with a dark wash and a light overspray of smoke?

Please don't take my criticisms as harsh, I'm just posting my honest views and what I think will improve your model to look better. Otherwise, I believe you've done a good job on the models overall! Keep your modelling activity up!

Lawrence
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:59 PM UTC
Here's a good look at the real cans:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman/f-16i_sufa_253/images/f-16i_sufa_253_12_of_99.jpg

Wooo, Sufa...slurp! Btw, the dark pre-shadow on the panel lines technique doesn't necessarily work on every aircraft. Check out the real examples to see what I mean.

Plenty of useful references on that website (owned by a good friend of mine, Don Busack)!
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the feedback given. I think the idea to spray buff overall might work to "flatten" the decals and paint into one layer. But from what I've seen, it tends to make an object look rather dusty as though it has been sitting in the sand for a long time. I might try using a slightly less "dusty" colour. Smoke perhaps?

As for the burner cans, yeah, I agree that they are totally under-weathered. Will touch up on that front.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 04:06 AM UTC
Smoke? I think that would darken the decals instead of blending it... Hmmm, I think you need to test out with a suitable color. Maybe very light gray or even white? I'm thinking of faded color that matches your body color which seems to look really faded, btw. A couple of very light mists 50% paint(10% white + 90% clear) + 50% thinner?

You're a big Viper fan? If so, do check out Polish F-16s, their camo scheme really kicks butt - interesting shades of greys (the best grey scheme so far, very refreshing!).
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Finally manage to get better pictures taken of the big F-16. Enjoy!

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:11 PM UTC
Very nice dude,
Is it the same one as above? Maybe you could submit it for a campaign here.
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice dude,
Is it the same one as above? Maybe you could submit it for a campaign here.

You mean the Modern Jet Campaign on Aeroscale?

Don't know if I can qualify.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Can... Why not?
 _GOTOTOP