_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
tell me it ain't so
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
I just go this email from Discountmodels (I'm sure most of you already read it.)

Is it true? (If it is, it's especially maddening as I just graduated, and maybe next year I could actually afford to buy... grrr)

"I just got word from my supplier that there will be a significant price increase on Trumpeter kits to take effect January 1, 2008. If there is anything fromk Trumpeter that you have been thinking about getting, now is the time. If you wait, you will have to pay the higher price. I have heard this increase could be as much as 25% or even higher!!!! And if Trumpeter does this, I am sure DML will be right behind them. Aparently The Chinese Government is taxing thier exports at a much higher rate now, and the Chinese Currency is gaining value against the US doller. So this is your official warning....buy now or don't complain later about the higher prices!"

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 05:50 AM UTC
And who send you the email?

I think this has been tried before by shops and distributors, scare people into buying something NOW...

I doubt that in the current climate of cheap internet buying from Japan and Asia, any distributor/shop is going to increase their prices (25%, yeah right, followed by the 'going out of business sale no doubt... ) just like that. And if they were planning a price increase, they wouldn't tell you about it before hand.

Unless this company is not in the business to make a profit of course...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC
I really LOVE this kind of rumor. It's incredibly helpful for all concerned - Retailers, Importers and Manufacturers have so much time on their hands - what's another few hours explaining the reality to customers?

Until this is denied, substantiated etc. can we please stop this kind of Information dissemination? It really doesn't help anyone...
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Well spotted Henk, those cheeky buggers!!

Stuart
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Mark (at Discountmodels.com) Is a really straight forward guy................... I konw this has happened in the past..... but it doesn't seem like Mark to me..........
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:37 AM UTC
Andras,
Take it from an old man.
Sometimes Grumpy, sometimes Dopey, sometimes sleeping at the wheel.

Besides the proverbial Death and Taxes, you can also count on rising prices.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andras,
Take it from an old man.
Sometimes Grumpy, sometimes Dopey, sometimes sleeping at the wheel.

Besides the proverbial Death and Taxes, you can also count on rising prices.

:)

Yeah, but a 25% jump... That would be insane. I don't think it's a deliberate rumor from Mark's part, and if it's true, it'd be bad. (Well. Come to think of it most people would do fine until the Apocalypse with the stash that they already have... )
I guess the weakening dollar and the rising oil prices are a huge factor when it comes to international trade.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 09:57 PM UTC
Haven't Trumpeter already started? £60 for the K72 when a King Tiger with all the toys from Dragon costs half as much ...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Haven't Trumpeter already started? £60 for the K72 when a King Tiger with all the toys from Dragon costs half as much ...

You seen the size of the Grille? Oranges and lemons i'm afraid..
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You seen the size of the Grille? Oranges and lemons i'm afraid..

I know, it's vast. But not quite twice as vast, is the only problem. But as it will almost certainly end up in the "still got to have it one day" box ...
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just go this email from Discountmodels (I'm sure most of you already read it.)

Is it true? (If it is, it's especially maddening as I just graduated, and maybe next year I could actually afford to buy... grrr)

"I just got word from my supplier that there will be a significant price increase on Trumpeter kits to take effect January 1, 2008. If there is anything fromk Trumpeter that you have been thinking about getting, now is the time. If you wait, you will have to pay the higher price. I have heard this increase could be as much as 25% or even higher!!!! And if Trumpeter does this, I am sure DML will be right behind them. Aparently The Chinese Government is taxing thier exports at a much higher rate now, and the Chinese Currency is gaining value against the US doller. So this is your official warning....buy now or don't complain later about the higher prices!"

The tax and currency issues are already both widely reported issues so this seems quite plausible. When I know I have major price increases coming I use it as a sales tool in my business so none of this so far is raising any eyebrows with me.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
The price of everything is going up so I really expect this to happen too. but that is life.
 _GOTOTOP