_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
We are on our way, Test shot of new home page
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 626 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 06:12 PM UTC
We are on our way, Test shot of new home page, feel free to leave feedback, I have never designed a home page before so here is my rough draft. Mrosko
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526495/message/1196142775/We+are+on+our+way%2C+Test+shot+of+new+home+page
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
I like it Chris. Your banner is eye catching and its colours are bright. The background tones are nice and subtle and don't overpower the images. All in all, I award it
Cheers
Brad
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
It looks okay, but I don't think the image-menu is a real good idea you see. First there is too much space between the menu items, and you will have to scroll vertically to be be able to find the ones that are on the bottom.
Then you will have to take care about the time it takes for loading: i explain: images load after text, you will have a lot of images on your website as you will be selling stuff, then, no need to add extra images on the menu
All in all, okay, but you would reconsider doing the menu using Style Sheets (css) like here on Kitmaker, and also wipe out the background image for the same loading time problem -you can do my way, some 1px wide/ 400px high gradient that you repeat on the x axis, it looks nice and is fast loading!
i suppose that the banner is 760px wide or so -I think you would have some interest in reducing its height, for the same scrolling problem, and -why not -you could put the menu HORIZONTALLY, which would leave some place if you want to put some infos like special offers, shipping etc on either side of the products display?
good luck for your business anyhow,
my 2 cents!

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
Its a good start - I like the color scheme and the images you selected.

JB has a few good point that are coming from a true design background.

If you have a good product a bit of scrolling will be acceptable though.
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks Guys
I will have other selection boxes locates between the boxes that are currently located on the page, Links, research, painting guides ETC. so it will all be used in a fashionable manor.
This is just one of the designs that I am working on, I made this page mock-up in Photoshop CS last night. Again thanks for the feedback, I really do not have any background in web building, I wish that I had some one to give me a hand, Oh well.
Chris Mrosko
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
Oy Chris, maybe think along those lines

one thing: you are here to sell, it's got to be pretty obvious right since the start, and on all your menu, i can see only 1 item (products) that is devoted to what you sell!
another advice, start cool, better have few pages that are really okay before starting on forums and galleries and stuff like that -search engines don't like "pages in construction";)
good luck

[edit] 800 px -> read '760px'
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 08:36 AM UTC
Nice work Jean-Bernard André
I wish that I had the knowledge to build a web page, maybe someday when I can have someone teach me. Mrosko
 _GOTOTOP