Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Show Your Support...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:45 AM UTC
On Veteran's Day of this year I had an awakening, one that was most unpleasant, but none the less an eye opener. I read an article about a Vietnam Veteran that had died all alone on Veteran's Day. He served his country and then became lost in this world. The only thing he had to his name was a dog, this, ironically, was also the reason he died alone in a cardboard box....The missions wouldn't allow him to keep a dog.

Well, the next Sunday, the Pastors sermon was all about, what would happen if the watchmen weren't paying attention. This struck home with me as my heart was still upset over the story about the veteran.

We have many young men and women serving this country that don't have anyone to watchover or "stand in the gap" for them.

Here is a site America Supports You, that will allow you to assist these brave persons, wherever they may be. This is not about supporting any military engagements, yet it is to let those in service of our country know that someone is thinking about them.

How could you not?....................

~Gunny
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:19 PM UTC
Gunny,

I hope your fellow countrymen support you in this!
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 03:09 PM UTC
Support a bloody good cause. I am at boarding school still and i am helping. So lend a helping hand guys.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 03:51 PM UTC
Thanks for this post Mark.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC
Gunny -

Great post! ...and a great link.

I think it isn't so bad that he died alone. He had his dog. On the other hand, I think it is shameful that these guys are living alone and homeless.

We...no, I need to do something. I think I am going to start with the VA...to explore the issues and try to figure out what programs are offered and why the services are not getting to the troops who need them.

Semper Fi,
Dave