_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
searching for RATEL pictures
theoke
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hello Boy's,

For a new project in 1/87 scale in am searching for picture's of the Ratel family
A lot of them I already found on the net,but could use detailshot's and of the top of the vehicle
Interiorshot's would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Regards Theo
TGVorster
Visit this Community
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 04:23 PM UTC
How much time do you have? Which vehicles of the family and which Mk of Ratel are you planning to build? The range of Ratels now include the Ratel 20, 60, command or 12.7, 90, 81, a rare recovery, prototype Log, OP, ZT3, FAO and even one with mine rollers (yeah didn't believe it myself until I saw a pic).

I have detail shots of most partly from the net partly some I took myself. I am planning a trip up to 1 SAI in bloem to get pics of those I don't have next year. At present I have detail of the command, ZT3 and OP. The rest are on my list for my visit to 1 SAI with the Log at Fort Klapperklop and the FAO at 4 Art which is also on my list of stops.

I also have some scale drawings from a mag many moons ago.

While you at it why don't you build the Iklawa the new Ratel derivative.
theoke
Visit this Community
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi Theunis,

Well the first one would be the Ratel 90,is it so that the cupola is the one from the AML 90/Eland.
I thought that then the 60 and the Command or even the 81 mortar would be easy to make,because the body is overall the same??
So,if you could provided me with some pictures,I would be gratefull.

But please tell me some more about the Iklawa

greets Theo

Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
Don't forget about the Signal (not command) Ratels, plus the very rare EW Ratel and the prototype of Eagle Eye built by IST.
TGVorster
Visit this Community
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC
The eagle eye is the OP ratel with the cherry picker at the back. The signals and EW are rare indeed, but so is a Ratel with mine plows of which I have a pic.

The Ratel 90 does indeed have a Eland 90 turret. Due to the recoil the axles and drive train on the Ratel 90 was changed.

The Iklawa? Well you should wait for the next eddision of Veg. Had a long chat with Pierre last night and it looks good to see another eddision pretty soon. But the Iklawa is a Ratel Mk3 which has been chopped up.

The engine now sits behind the right hand side door and a rear drop down ramp has been added. The glassis has been chopped back so the drivers window is now reduced to a single window in the glassis. The top is also totally modular. The top can be changed within an hour and a new turret dropped in.

Got some pics which I will post later.
blueatlantic_sky
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 01:53 PM UTC
You can buy a Ratel 20 with excellent detail for $130 USD at http://www.aerografix.co.za/default.php - they also have all the other SA Army vehicles there available - the scale is 1:35
bwsmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:06 AM UTC
You can get a Ratel 20 from Baxmods for half the price
 _GOTOTOP