_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Needle File Recommendations?
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 04:23 PM UTC
Greetings,

I am looking for a nice set/selection of good quality needle files, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I have been looking at the UMV Vallorbe files that have been recommended in Tony Greenland's Panzer Modelling book, but the cost is rather prohibitive, and I am unable to find a US supplier which might have a better price (given the current value of the dollar, buying through the UK just seems undoable right now). Does anyone have any ideas, or know of US suppliers of UMV files? How about Grobet Vallorbe--are they worthwhile? Or Klein files--how do they compare? I ask because I have seem some Grobet Vallorbe files offered on eBay-UK which seem quite reasonable in price. Thank you!
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Find the cheapest ones you can find. Usually in those bargain bins of tools made in China found at local hardware/home stores. I've had my set for twenty plus years and they are as good now as they were new. I've used expensive high grade files, but considering I'm not filing jewelery or metals just plastic and fillers the cheap ones are just fine. The set I found was a 10 or 12 piece set of files of all shapes and sizes for under $3. Today they might be a bit more expensive but under $10.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
yep, Cheap(er) ones here too...........
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:55 AM UTC
Ola I bought a set of Keymakers files for 5 euro... 12 different files in several shapes and sizes. And they work perfect. A tip I picked up along the way is that if the file may be too course or too rough. Take a chalk crayon.. the one you write on a blackboard and rub it over the file a few times it will become less rough.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
Yep -but pick up a decent file card - so you can keep them clean - they will last a lifetime!
 _GOTOTOP