Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Happy Black Friday!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
I don't know if anywhere else in the world people celebrate this strange American Holiday, but to those of you who do, I sincerely hope you have a wonderful, and enjoyable Black Friday.

I personally don't not observe this particular Holiday, and do my best to avoid those that do, as I don't really deal well with life in crowded conditions.

I do find this strange tradition, and continued growth in popularity to be extremely odd, with the ease of observing it with the advent of the Internet, and the comfort of participating in your skivvies. (Gee-could I be a closet Black Fridaier and not know it?) Yet each year I'm amazed more and more with the news coverage of this Holiday. Could in a few years there be a Black Friday Parade to follow the Thanksgiving Day Parades? Will Black Friday be declared an official Federal Holiday in a few years? Thus insuring continued growth and participation?

To all who celebrate Black Friday, I wish you the traditional Black Friday Greeting:
MAX IT OUT!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 02:44 AM UTC
I'm with you, Dave.
Well, I did make my purchase today. I bought the papaer. May go out and get a bagel shortly.
I can't imagine the attitude of the store personel who had to go to work for 4:00 am to deal with greedy nutjobs pushing and shoving to save some money on something they don't really need. The news said there were people lined up at 5:30 pm yesterday. Get a l life.
Things were bad enough 35 years ago when I worked in retail and the stores opened up at 9:30 and people were waiting to get in. Now, they've all lost their minds.
And at least 3 local radio stations went to all Christmas music all the time last Monday.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
Dave,

Back atcha! Unfortunately (or is it "fortunately?") I won't be celebrating it. I'll be working it!! Boss asked me last week if I wanted to start at 5:00 am, I told her: So, I start at 9:00 am, after most of the Black Friday nonsense is over and done with! Although, I'll be able to "check out" the deals. Yep, there's a couple of things I'll probably pick up.....

And yea, 4:00 shoppers are "nutjobs!"

Mike
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
Looks familiar. I think we celebrate it in December in the UK. The "January Sales", as we still quaintly call them, start immediately after Christmas day. It was once thought that the shortest interval of measurable time was the gap between the lights going green and the taxi driver behind you sounding his horn. It's now been proven that it's the time between midnight on Christmas Day and the shop's decorations being replaced with big shouty signs that say SALE in big letters, so that they can open extra-early on Boxing day. What larks!

And with Pigsty's Theory of Temporal Regression - based on the observation that Christmas starts earlier every year and will soon start before the previous Christmas - I confidently expect the January Sales to become permanent. Oh no, they already did - especially at DFS ...
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
point and click.Works for me.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Got a little over half of my shopping done around 0530 on Friday Except for the lines in the electronics dept.,it wasn't bad at all