_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Kitmaker Network Feature Submissions down??
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
Is the Submission function down on the network? I have been attempting to submit something over the last four days and keep getting the "page not found" page. I am using the Submissions tab, then selecting Submit as File tab. Anyone know whet the problem is?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
Jim's working on it.
Gino, try contacting your favorite editor.
Note- I am not an Editor-
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks again Dave. As always, I will take the Consigliere's advice and see one of the Capos, who can get a word with the Godfather for me. For this favor, I will be forever in your debt. Come to me when you need a favor in the future.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:20 PM UTC
Should be back up and running now Gino, give it a shot and post here if you have any issues.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
I'm still having problems. I can log into the submission feature, write in the boxes, and type in the special code-script thingies. When I try to upload a file it still fails though. I get the Can't Find Page message in the smaller file upload box. Strange. Any ideas??
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 03:16 PM UTC
I had a problem earlier also Gino.
Couldn't go back and edit after previewing, every time I went back to edit a spelling/grammar error, the entire article disappeared.

Back to the drawing board.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 03:49 PM UTC
Dave,
I thought you were talking about the online reviews submission form? Gino is talking about the NRC or support desk software.

Has anyone been able to submit a new ticket via the new support desk (since it was reinstalled last week). I know we have had submission via email.

Thanks,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still having problems. I can log into the submission feature, write in the boxes, and type in the special code-script thingies. When I try to upload a file it still fails though. I get the Can't Find Page message in the smaller file upload box. Strange. Any ideas??

Gino,
I just did a test and it worked for me. Try using a different browser if you have more than one installed. Or it could be a setting issue with the browser. A perfect example is today I went to Newsweek.com and the site would not load for me. I got that IE 7 can't load site message. I reset my browser settings and then it worked fine.

Dave,
If you are trying to compose an article in the message window of the NRC I would avoid doing that. Write the review in Word or other text editor and upload it as a file attachment.

Also for everyone reading this just a reminder... the NRC supports multiple files in each submission. So if you have 10 files you can...

A. Zip them all up into a single file and submit.
B. Attach each one to the same ticket.
C. Send them via email to support@[insert.kitmakersite.domain.here]. And no don't send them to that literal email.

Also another reminder about files. Please don't submit 5MB each files. I am reminded of that old saying... "Just because one 'can' do a thing, does not mean one 'should' do a thing."

Cheers,
Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
I get so confused sometimes.

The one at the top of the page under submissions-- On Line Form.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 05:41 PM UTC
A little progress, but still no joy. It seems to have something to do with .ZIP files. I can load a zipped file up to about 1.5 meg (maybe 2 pics). Anything larger fails and I get the Can Not Find Page message. I can upload individual pics and documents no problem, but that would take forever. Any further ideas?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC
Gino,
What size ZIP file were you hoping to upload? Most servers running Linux/PHP are configured to only allow 2MB maximum uploads per 'form' upload. Ours is set a bit higher but still... do you know how many web sized images I can fit in a 1.5MB Zip file? 10-20 for sure. With a 1024 x 768 pixel image compressed at high quality JPG levels you should get down to about 50-100kb per image instead of 750kb.

Cheers,
Jim
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 03:42 AM UTC
In the past, as long as it was less that 5MB, I did not have an issue submitting. I am not a whiz with pics and usually leave them whatever size they come out of the camera at. I can usually get 5-10 pics into a zip of less than 5 MB. Guess the new system is more picky than the old. Looks like I need to start playing with the pic size next. What size do I need to adjust the pics to?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 03:56 AM UTC
Anything between 800 x 600 to 1280 x 1024 is fine. The issue would be not to overcompress the image and make it look worse than it's original. Some photo resizers go a bit extreme on the jpg compression while others give you a quality setting that will allow the image to remain as good as the original (just not as high res).

Btw I checked and currently the NRC is set to accept attachments up to 3MB in size. And our PHP installation is set to accept uploads of 5MB or less. So the issue you are having is likely a time-out. It must be taking to long to do the upload via your ISP.

Cheers,
Jim
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 03:56 PM UTC
I resized and sent them. It seems to have worked. Thanks for all the help.
 _GOTOTOP