_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
PE hinge question
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 08:42 PM UTC
I was wondering how do people decide what size drill bit or wire to use to round PE hinges. i find the instruction in the PE sets tend to be too big but when I do them I find that I can roll the flat hinge part into a circle but with too much left over, if that makes sense. So is there away to look at the flat hinge, dfeore rolling, decide what diameter bit or wire I would need to roll it properly?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
I usually eyeball it and start smaller than I think it should be. I'd rather start small and work my way up rather than starting to large.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
I agree with Scott. it's easier to make the "hole' for the pins larger than it is to try to make it smaller.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:34 AM UTC
Of course, you could just do the math...

Circumferance = pi x Diameter

Circumferance = the length of the PE that will make up the walls of the hinge barrel

Divide by 3.14159 (pi)

Voila, the diameter of the hole you get or the pin you need, theoretically. Of course, nothing ever goes the way it should theoretically, but this will get you into the right ballpark. And the pin should be slightly smaller than the theoretical hole size to allow movement.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP