Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Need info on US modern gear
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hey Guys,
Me and Epi is in a deep project...Im scratching a 1/9th scale bust of a Modern US Infantry guy, Epi has helped me tremendously with the research and the comming photos, however there are a few things that still needs to be known!! So my question is:
What are/were your units regulations on how and where to wear the gear, like ammo pouches, holsters, ear pluggs etc etc. And what alterations can/could you do to them, and how strict are the rules/regulations followed? Pictures would be great also!!
Thanks a million!!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:20 PM UTC
Anders,
It all depends on what unit you want to model this bust on. If you want to do one from the 75th Inf. (Rangers) Their gear is quite a bit different than what you will find on a guy in a Mech Infantry unit. Common items though will be their Kevalr Helmet, Tactical Load Bearing Vest or LCE. Ammo pouches are pretty much carried in 2's or even sometimes 4's on either side of the web belt. Butt packs are very common with the infantry (Scouts too). First aid pouches vary from being carried on the pistol belt to should or the LCE. Units will dictate per their SOP where items are carried, but soldiers are soldiers and tailor their equipment to fit their needs.
My personal set-up is as follows. Standard LCE with the Metal attaching clips removed and replaced by 550 parachute cord. Two each M16 Ammo pouches on either side of the pistol belt. One first aid pouch on the right front-most part of the pistol belt. another 1st iad pouch on the left side front with a signal mirror. Four Canteens. A butt-pack with kneepads for patrols, and maybe some type of "snivel gear" (Long underwear top) etc... As far as the ammo pouches go, 2 are for ammo, and the other two are for various things like a small pair of binos, trauma sheers, tape, wire saw, fire starter kit, toilet paper, camo paint, hard candy (great for foot marches= energy) minor first aid stuff and a mini mag flashlight. On the left shoulder strap of my LCE I carry pace count beads AKA Ranger Beads. Off the center back strap of my LCE are 3 D rings, my rappelling gloves, a figure "8" and a small section of rope for a quick "swiss seat" if needed. Kevlar helmet is standard issue, with a foam impact pad installed on the back, and a PVS-7B mount that stay on my helmet permanently. The foam impact pad is used during parachute drops to help prevent head trauma in rearward landings. I dont carry earplugs while in the field and most guys don't either. This is more of a "garrison only" requirement, and on live fire ranges.
I currently command a Bradley, but do a lot of dismounted work. The issue 9mm holster doesn't work well for me in the Brad. I carry a Tactical Thigh holster that works much better and lets me move around without getting snagged on stuff, and also the extra M16A2 that I have on board. The infantry guys that I have worked with didn't carry side arms, but rather the M16A2 or the new M16A4 or M4. There are differnt holsters that I know of. The old Leather one for the .45 that still works for the 9mm, and the Bianchi nylon one that can be adapted to either hip or shoulder carry.
Although I'm not an Infantryman by trade, I'm a Scout, my uniform is pretty damn close to what you'll find on them. Have served with the infantry a good part of my career. Hopefully this will hepl you out. Let me know if you need anything clarified. "Q"
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I'm not an Infantryman by trade, I'm a Scout,

HOO-AHH! 19Deltas eat their dead!

Scouts Out!
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:32 PM UTC
Anders,
I can take some shots of my gear once I get home and send them to you. Let me know if you need anymore info. "Q"
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can take some shots of my gear once I get home and send them to you.

I'd like to see those pics, too. Uniform, gear, boots, everything... Perhaps you can also send the pics to Jim, so we can all have some good reference when modeling a 1/35 scale Red...

Mario M.

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:31 PM UTC
I'll take whatever pictures you guys need to see. I'm getting ready to go to the "woods" for awhile, so I may not get them posted as soon as possible, but I'll try. "Q"
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll take whatever pictures you guys need to see. I'm getting ready to go to the "woods" for awhile, so I may not get them posted as soon as possible, but I'll try.

Thanks Red.. That would be cool.

Mario M.

AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
Red,
Thanks!, Im going to take you up on that offer. Just take pics of you with your gear on, like you would have it, much as you described in your first post on this thread. Pictures of the front back, and sides are the angles I'd need
Let me know if this is do-able!

Thanks again,
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
This is what I found in my favourites folder.. The site is mainly under construction, but some good images can be seen regarding this topic:

http://www.geocities.com/sabresquadron/M00000.html

Mario M.

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC
Anders,
Its doable. I'll have to employ my kids to take them... lol but it's doable. I'll let you know when I have them ready. "Q"
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
what type of load bearing equipment is the figure wearing
as of today, I know of 3....
LBE (load bearing equipment) 2 straps forming a Y on the back

LBV (load bearing vest) a wraparound vest with 6 pockets for magazines, etc there were 2 types, one with mostly fabric going around the waist to the back, and one with mesh.

MOLLE (modular something lightweight loadbearing equipment) (feel free to correct the acronym) mostly mesh around the front, sides, and back with attachment points for add on pouches)

Different units will change their load plan depending on the mission, and weapon carried.
for instance..
Infantry squad/team leaders will carry handheld radios.
Tankers usually dont carry M16 pouches
Leaders will usually have a compass (same pouch as first aid)
artillerymen sometimes carry hard cased arty compasses
hot weather units will carry 2qt canteens, or camel backs

PM, or E me if you have any Q's

John