_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Trumpeter Kits
tdurfee
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC
Ok, all you conspiracy theorists, scientists etc. etc. etc.

Do model kits made by Trumpeter of CHINA possibly contain some little chemical nasty that no one has picked up on yet?

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Not an expert on plastics, but polystyrene is a very cheap plastic in its raw form. Even when mixed with small amounts of other materials (like synthetic rubbers) to ease moulding (Dragon styrene), it need not be dangerous. Why add nasty chemicals that would only increase the price of their raw material?
Moulding simple plastics is hardly new technology, and adding hazzardous chemicals is not necessary.

tdurfee
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
I know what you are saying Frank, but recently, here in the United States we have had a rash of products produced in China that have been shown to contain chemical and other agents that are harmful to people, especially children.

That is why I asked the question.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi Thom
I have read the horror stories, and understand your concerns. As Jay Leno said, "250,000 tons of lead is being returned to China today, as there have been some toys found in it!"
But polystyrene is so cheap ..one of the cheapest plastics, and altering the composition takes a lot of development/investment, there is no real need to look for cheaper additives.
The price of kits is determined more by the reserach and tooling. The actual plastic cost is minimal. Again, Im not an expert and my replies are not facts, just a guess with my limited experience.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 05:29 AM UTC
Polystyrene is listed as possibly carcinogenic and studies (on Styrene) to determine, have according to Harvard risk assessment, only suggest the possibility. Also your exposure as a hobby modeler, are far less than a manufacturer, smoker or automobile commuter.
However, there are all kinds of additives used in plastics. They are used for such things as process lubrication, color, UV stabilizers, antioxidants, antistats, brisance modifiers and fire retardants. In addition to these additives copolymers might be used. Of these the only health or environmental concerns that I have heard of are from the fire retardants.
No additive is used unless necessary for the product, it is not cost effective.
The additives that might be used in polystyrene for injection molded model would likely contain colorants, brisance modifiers and process lubricants in very small amounts. Of these only the process lubricant would be exposed, the others would only be released as the polystyrene degrades.
Polystyrene is among the least recycled plastics and is most often recycled into other polymers – such as ABS. Recycled content in high pressure processes such as extrusion and injection molding is usually limited to less than 15% due to contamination – dust dirt ect. and the breakdown of the material from being processed. Any contamination causes unprofitable production problems. The most likely recycled content comes from in house rejected material.
I think that the “cheaper” a styrene kit is the “safer” it probably is due to lack of additives. Not that they are unsafe in the firstplace.

http://www.styrene.org/pdfs/Risk_In_Perspective_05_2002.pdf

http://www.styreneforum.org/faq_index.html

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-51798-143236/unrestricted/etd.pdf

_GOTOTOP