_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tokyo hobby shops?
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
I'm heading to Toyko and Yokosuka Japan for a month. Where are the hobby shops I need to visit?

Jesse
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
I lived there for 4 years there are several that are good. My favorite was a shop in Yokohama off of route 16 (the many city street between yokosuka and yokohama) it's on katbucki street (one of the few with a sign. The owner will attempt english if you attempt Japanese. There is another just outside of yokohama station (the big one in the center of the city) called the Hobbit, good selection and fair prices. I don't remember if they had a discount off the yen retail price. but $20.00-$30.00 for tamiya and hasagawa is still beter than here in the states. In yokosuka there is another just up form the train station about a mile or so you can follow the signs signs for the sports and recreation area but it's just after a major turn to the left on the main road heading accross the peninsula. I know of several others but they are well hidden and you can spend a day just trying to find one.

I recommend you find a shop that has a black cat (japan's version of UPS) to send your kits home. Japan's postal service is expensive. If you have access to one of the bases over there, they have a US post office on most of them. Shipping from a US post office over there is priced from San Fransico. I hope this helps you and I can say that I'm kinda jealous. I enjoyed my time there and miss the good times and general acceptance of modeling as an adult hobby. Good luck
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Steve,
I will be working mostly on the navy base in Yokosuka, but I plan to take a couple of trips to Tokyo. I'll see what I can find.

Jesse
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
Steve,
I found the hobby shop. Thanks for the directions, but I found quite by accident. Pretty nice. Thanks again,

Jesse
 _GOTOTOP