_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
NRC (Help/Support Desk) will be offline
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 02:35 PM UTC
I am in the process of changing servers for the machine that handles our ad server and help desk. As I will be out of town this weekend and the server the help desk is currently on is expiring on Monday, I have decided to take the NRC offline so that I can create a backup and restore it after I get back.

If you have a submission or need help with anything in the meantime I suggest (for content) contacting an editor directly via PM or email, and for support posting your issue in the user support forum.

Thanks,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 04:46 PM UTC
As an update I want to alert editors to read the additional post I made in the staff forum concerning this move. Basically the uploads for the NRC are saved in the database and not as seperate files. This is one of the weak points of the Active Trio software I'm afraid as it was not intended for use in this type of environment.

Even after removing all submissions older than 2 months, we still have over 1200+ files that add up to 1.4GB of data in the database. That's HUGE! And as I will be away for 4 days this weekend (courtesy of my wife) and returning on the DAY the old server is coming up for annual renewal (which I am not renewing as we have a new server) this means I have no time to dump and transfer 1.4GB of data. I have asked the editors to try to save as many unpublished items as possible to local drives, but I apolgize in advance if for some reason we lose anything.

Thanks,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP