_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
A shiping question
cuales
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hello guys!

I'm thinking about selling some of my kits (well, 98.7% of them), but I don't know where to get boxes to ship them. Where do you guys get used boxes in the right sizes?

Thank you
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
Depending on the size you can get boxes for free at the Post Office. They have a box that is a flat rate price, anything you can fit in it for one low price, like under $10.00, if memory serves. I've shipped some kits that way. You can pick up the box for free, put the kit in it, address, and ship it. I've also taken two of the boxes, opened both ends and used them to go over a larger item, like a ship kit. You don't get the same price for the shipping, but the box is still free. If there is a paper supply store called Expedx in your area they have boxes of all sizes, and Styrofoam peanuts, packing tape, etc. Their prices are decent. Or there is always dumpster diving.

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
I used to always check with the guys in the mail room at work. They always had a nice selection of boxes. Other than that, you could always talk to someone at a local retail shop to see if they have any before they throw them out.

- Frank
cuales
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
thank you guys!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 02:38 PM UTC
Being cheap,
let me explain a cheap way....
Go to US Post Office.
Take a stack of the free priority and express mail boxes.
Take them home.
Carefully take a razor knife, and slit the glued edge, it will come apart.
Turn box inside out, refold so brown side is now the outside, and reglue edge.
Now you have the right size free box, to ship by what ever carrier, or postage rate you choose.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They have a box that is a flat rate price, anything you can fit in it for one low price, like under $10.00, if memory serves.

Be careful with the flat rate box. I was in a hurry once and grabbed the wrong box and paid $8.95 when I could have shipped it for $4.60. Standard priority is cheaper until you get up to the 3 pound range and then depending on which zone you are shipping to. http://postcalc.usps.gov/Popups/pop_up22.htm

Paul
RCoulter52
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They have a box that is a flat rate price, anything you can fit in it for one low price, like under $10.00, if memory serves.

Be careful with the flat rate box. I was in a hurry once and grabbed the wrong box and paid $8.95 when I could have shipped it for $4.60. Standard priority is cheaper until you get up to the 3 pound range and then depending on which zone you are shipping to. http://postcalc.usps.gov/Popups/pop_up22.htm

Paul

This is true. If it is a single kit that will fit in the same size box as the flat rate box. It will be cheaper to send it standard priority. But, once in that box, it has to be paid for as such. $8.95.
And another thing I have found, at least here in Fort Smith, priority is only $ .10 to $ .15 more. So I'll ship priority to get it there a little faster.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC
If I can't find any in the trash at work then I go to the local Postman Plus. But after reading Daves post I think I've found a new outlet.

And I've found the same thing to be true that Randie said. Priority is usually just a few cents more than regular mail and they get there in 3 days. I'd rather pay a little extra for the goodwill fast shipment buys.
 _GOTOTOP