_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Micro drill bits
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
I picked up a exacto pin vise with several micro drill bits a couple of days ago. I'm ashamed to admit it took my wife to point out that it wasn't just the pin vise, like I had thought, but that is also held several drill bits in the handle. (Thanks Honey)

So here are my questions. The set has several bits that it says are in several different sizes. Any way to know which bit is which size? On my wood working bits they have the size stamped on them but these things are WAY too small for that.

I understand these bits are VERY fragile. Is it possible to use them in a Dremel type rotary tool or do you have to use them in the pin vise.

Any tips anybody can give for using these little guys would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi I use micro bits quite alot in my rotary tool (like a dremel only cheaper) what I have found is to let the tool do the job dont force it, they are very fragile but indispensable . all the best.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Under 0.50 mm I use only them in a pin vise, for bigger size I also go for a Dremel...
Ciao
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:16 PM UTC
I saw somewere a steel plate with micro size holes in it with the sizes stamped beside each hole. Just find the right size hole for the bit and then you have the size. I dont know if you can get this any more or not though.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC
My Dad being a machinist and I mechanical engineer, we have varous micrometers and digital calipers, so all i do is 'Mic' the bit, with accuracy to 0.1mm. Ive seen them in Sears for about $10 for a cheap 1" micrometer
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
i have a micro drill bit set, can't live with out it now.

Chris
 _GOTOTOP