_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo Box Image Quality
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
So, let me ask you...
Which of these two photos is better and why?
The top one was take in general lighting on my workbench - incandecent light bulbs nothing special.
The second one was taken in a cloth light box with 3 100watt incandecent light bulbs. Positioned on the sides and top through the cloth.
Both have had Photoshop Auto Levels and Auto Contrast applied.

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
without seeing the original, it is difficult to judge the colour reproduction. On my monitor the colours are a distinct different hue.
The top picture has more, and harsher, light and shade, but I think that the colours are probably more true to the original.
The bottom picture is 'nicer' to look at on a monitor, but I think that some of the subtle shading of the tank is lost, as is overall contrast.

Nice diorama by the way Scott, I really like the way the upper level comes into the diorama from outside.

Cheers
Henk
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
The bottom shot has warmer, and more diffused colors. It looks more "arty" than the the top photo which looks a bit stark. I suspect the top one looks more "real" as far as what the real model looks like. I guess I'd say the top photo looks more like a snap shot while the bottom one looks like a piece of artwork.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 01:56 AM UTC
I like the way you guys describe what you're seeing. I see it too, just couldn't put my finger on it or 'describe' it.

Either way its an interesting lesson in what a diffuser (light box) will do. I'm torn as to which is 'better'.
Especially because I do reviews and features and want to represent the subject at its best.

Thanks for the complement Henk - I wanted a 'flare' to the project that would accentuate the elevation.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
The bottom picture almost looks like you had the wrong white balance set on the camera with all the colors except the white on the critters being shifted to a yellow/red hue. Was this present before the Photoshop adjustments?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
Good point Al. Other than knowing the settings are camera defaults and the same for both photos, I can't say if the affect is there pre-photoshop untill tonight when I get home to my PC.
The photo box diffuser is white translucent cloth which would affect the balance (I guess).
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
I See Tyranids!!
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 207 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
Scott your pictures look real good . but I think your second shot in the light box has sort of a yelllow cast to it , and I think its due to the light bulbs you used. You might want to try using daylight bulbs instead of the reg ones and try flourescent ones too ( 45 watts ) K5100 rating , they are really nice and bright it'll make a lot of difference in your shots.I'm not a pro photographer but I've been doing some reading and experimenting and the bulbs do make a difference. I've tried the desk lamp route and finally broke down and purchased a couple of table top photo lamps and am really pleased. Give the bulbs a shot , I think you'll see the difference.One other suggestion ck white bal, and try not using flash with photo bx. If you use daylight bulbs , set white balance to Daylight., and try different color backgrounds. Have fun!!!!
Frank
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 06:47 AM UTC
Scott,

Try Daylight Bulbs, 250watt or higher, from any photo supply website. I use em and the results are worth it. I only have Microsoft Office picture manager to clean em up, nothin fancy. I use a light filter like your tent. Always shut off the light after taking pics or you will burn down the house, no joke. Check the pics link below and see what you think. The high wattage bulbs eliminate the yellowing common on low wattage bulbs and look more like natural daylight, hence, Daylight Bulbs. Hope this helps.

Ski.

_GOTOTOP