_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Blast from the past!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
So there I was,
looking for something, and I find this:

A virgin pack of Squadron Plastic Sheet, from Hazel Park, Michigan that set me back a big $2.00. Containing 3 sheets each of the following thickness- 10,20,30,40th. With a 1/76 Panzer Jager Elephant done by "Wally" as cover art. (I wonder if Wally is still building, or alive?)

Anybody else have any antique consumables for the hobby laying around? (Not kits!)
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 02:12 PM UTC
Wow - the good old days - probaly got it from a real hobby shop too!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 02:46 PM UTC
John, you are right, I probably did, unfortunately I don't remember which one, but it is possible it was either the Squadron Shop out on Long Island, or down in DC, as myself and a few buddies would get together back in those young and wild days to make a trip to each every now and then. Long Island was closer, but at least once a year we would make a "DC Run" for the day, and of course always stop in Maryland on the trip back for crabs and beer. The DUI laws were sure different back in those days!
We were all traumatized when the DC store had a fire, and of course had to make the trip down after it reopened.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
Boy I woiuld love to find areal hobby shop like I remember from my youth in Baltimore - they carried models and paints and books and plastic - and they always had space for somebody to wok on a model- the glass cases were full of great build ups and the ceilings were covered with hanging model planes - I remember how much I disliked it when the RC stuff started showing up and then the wargamming and finally the videogames showed up and that was it for the models- sigh
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:47 PM UTC
Dave: Areal blast from the past, I remember lots of orders place to Squadron, in my youth.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:37 PM UTC
We had a hobby shop in Teaneck, called The Flight Deck, that was like a Saturday and Sunday party, clubs meeting place, (didn't matter what clubs you belonged to, we all hung out there) until he went out of business. Most of us spent most of the week end there, ordering take out food for delivery, beer from across the street, and good old fashion shooting the breeze, and bragging rights. It was a sad day when he closed his doors.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
Wow, that is so cool. Growing up I had access to a good hobby shop that is still in business! Where I live now all the local shop carries is some paint, plastic & glue. Anything else I order. Hah, the good old days.

Doug
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 01:57 PM UTC
I have one of the small single bottles of Pactra Flesh that has yet to be opened. This was THE color to use when painting figures fleshy areas when I was a kid. I keep it as a reminder of the good ole' days. Good find Dave. "Q"
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 02:14 PM UTC
Don't laugh Matthew, I still have a few bottle of the old Patra "international" line. I'd have to go sorting quite a few bottles, but I know there is still a Khaki somewhere, and probably the WW1 color Mauve.
Got a box full of the old Flquil Military colors, need a bottle of Warpac Gray-Green- FS 34258?
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
I still have the first can of Propel I ever bought. It must be at least 28 years old. Bought before I moved to Silicon Valley. Actually, I still have all the Propel cans I've bought. They have only recently been replaced with a compressor (Iwata Smart Jet Pro). I probably have all sorts of enamel paint jars/cans that are about as old.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
Don't ask me why this is still in the back of a drawer, but it is. This is OLD!
modelfreak24
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, that is so cool. Growing up I had access to a good hobby shop that is still in business! Where I live now all the local shop carries is some paint, plastic & glue. Anything else I order. Hah, the good old days.

Doug

Where i live the local hobby shop has only 2-3 kits at a time and some paint.
the rest is As Seen on TV (IE the stuff on TV at 4AM)
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:49 AM UTC
My grandfather and I would go to Levines in Colorado springs on Saturdays I never wanted to leave they had so many cool things to get into. AHHhhhhhhhh I miss those days sometimes.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 02:46 PM UTC
Yes I do but to ashamed to show how about Original Squadron shop Panzer color for like $3.95 or so when they were in Detroit have a few of them and a few others a little tattered but still holding on.

I guess us Yanks don't throw out *hit
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 04:46 PM UTC
I still have one of those packages of plastic that I'm still using plastic from. I got it waaaaay back in 1975-76 when I made my first mail-order from Squadron. I've used most of it (and lots more besides) but there is stil some .030 & .040 sheet left.

I also wondered who this guy was that made such a cool Ferdinand.

Paul
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
I've a small shoebox (approx 4x10in) that is filled with ancient Airfix paint bottles, most are unopened and they look as good as new, they date back to the 1960's at least, god only knows what nasty chemicals and whatever is in them.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
I have some of the old Shep Paine 1/32 Monogram Diorama Tip sheets. Every once in a while I like to get them out and look at them. I also have (don't ask me why) a 1976 Grenadier Shop catalog and a packing slip for a Tamiya SAS Jeep from 1977 from The Genadier Shop (with a handwritten note of thanks from the owner). It's amazing what we keep!!!!

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP