_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
DIY!!!
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

The other day I phoned a Model shop and requested a quotation for a Motor Tool Holder for my Motor Tool. After taking down the part number (Which I supplied), my name and my telephone number, I was informed that they would get back to me within the day. Directly after that phone call I placed another phone call to a Hardware shop whom I have dealt with in the past when buying items for my Motor Tool. Once again I gave my details and the part number for the item in question and once again, I was told that they would get back to me within the day.

Two days go by and I phone the Model shop to request the status of my inquiry whereby I am informed that they have not been able to contact the supplier. Next I phone the Hardware shop and I'm spun a yarn on how they're waiting for the rep to visit them to drop off a new catalogue (I didn't realise it took the presence of a catalogues to find out a price).

More time goes by and to cut a long story short, it took me two phone calls to get in touch with the supplier. One phone call to their old office number, which gave me a forwarding number to their new offices, and the forwarding number that put me in contact with the supplier. The person whom I spoke to was very helpful and even went through the trouble of looking in their records and directing me to a shop that they had actually distributed the item in question to. Unfortunately that shop was sold out of said item, so I'm back at square one again.

I phoned a shop in Durban this past Monday in connection with a hobby related item, gave them my name and contact numbers. Today I phoned them again, as I did above to the other shops, to find out if they had a price for me. Once again, the pillar-to-post treatment whereby I was told to please phone them tomorrow. I'm sorry, but I refuse to phone a retailer three times for one item - I won't be doing business with them, even though I know the owner!

Am I the only one who has experienced such bad service or are there others out there?

How does this affect my Warranties on the items I purchase? If I'm getting such shoddy service before purchasing an item, how many problems should I expect when I need to get a defective item repaired or replaced?

Is this a widespread problem?

Does anybody else have similar stories?

Regards,
Warren
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 282 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Warren

I can understand your frustrations. I have similar experiences with poor service in South Africa every day (with a wide range of examples). Personally, most immediate hobby needs are quickly arranged with Jix Hobbies in Pretoria. They are very helpful and usually have everything you may need. You might do well to give them a shout.

We seem to have become accustomed to shoddy service. During a recent visit to the UK, I was shocked at how helpful people actually CAN be.

Best of luck.

Regards
Garth
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hello Garth,

I agree with you; Jix are very good.

Another shop that also seems to be willing to go the extra mile for a customer is Centurion Hobbies (Also in Pretoria). When I phone them the staff are always helpful. On a couple of occasions when requesting quotes on items that they have not had in stock they have always been very prompt in furnishing quotes via SMS.

Quoted Text

We seem to have become accustomed to shoddy service.

It is a sad truth, but one made all the more worse when one relies on their customers to provide them with their livelihood.

Enjoy the holiday season

Regards,
Warren
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We seem to have become accustomed to shoddy service

I think that statement pretty much sums it up right there.

2 hobby shops I get great service from are Hobby Mania and The Boyz and Mens Hobby Shop - both in Cape Town.
trakk120
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Guys

I pretty much agree with your sentiments on poor service. I don't think that it is unique to Hobby stores though. In general it's a South African problem wherever you go.
Add this hobby store to your list:

Plaskits, Van Riebeeck Mall, Edenvale, Gauteng. C/N: 011454-6525 or 082 783 1489. It is a small one man concern that offers exceptional service. If he doesn't have it, he will get it for you. The owner is Martin.

Cheers, Arthur
 _GOTOTOP