_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Paintbrush?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hello all! I am in the White-wash campaign, but I don't know how to make a 1/35 scale paintbrush? I have a few ideas, but I don't know exactly what I'd do for the brushes. Thanks for your time.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC
Well.....a possible scratch build idea:

Take a 0 or 00 brush for the 1/35th bristles, and a piece of thin plastic sheet, maybe .15 or .20. Cut two pieces (two halves of the brush) in the shape of the brush handle and base (but not include the length of the bristles).

Lay one half down, snip the bristles of the "real" brush" at the base, add a touch of CA to that half, and place the bristles down into the CA (hold the bristles with a pair of wide tweezers).

Allow this to set, then add the other half on top of the first...with CA covering the entire half of the first. Once totally dry, take a thin, narrow piece of scrap PE fret, add CA to just above the bristles, and wrap the PE around the base (this gives it the "metal" band that holds the bristles in place).

To finalize it, dip the "handle" part of the 1/35th brush in regular styrene glue and let dry (this will give you the "roundness" of the handle). Once dry, take a #11 blade or needle file, and thin it as necessary. When that's done, take a pair of scissors and trim the real bristles to the proper length of a 1/35th brush.

The 0 or 00 bristles are thin enough to pull off a good representation of a 1/35th.

Mike
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thank you very much! This will help out a lot!
 _GOTOTOP