_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Old Skool Members
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hey all,
I was sat looking through the comments as I do most days when it suddenly dawned on me how long I've been coming to this site. Then I worked out all the things that happened to me during this time.

I was lucky enough to find this site early on in 2002 I think (I don't think it had been going long when I joined), I joined in time to participate in the first campaign. This was an excellent campaign where you had to include a window into the dio but there was a budget limit (it was really low meaning most things had to be scratched) the results were really good and I enjoyed it hugely. I tried to find the photos but could not maybe they are deletedfrom the campaign folder. Definetly worth running this campaign style again for someone with the spare time, it kind of levels the field for everyone.
As for modeling I haven't done as much as I would have liked I have built a bit but not done too many dio's which is a shame as it is this I really enjoy and appreciate the most of other peoples work. Itried the whole air-brush thing but have decided to stick with the brush for now until I get more free time.
On a more personal note in the last 5 years I have been to Iraq and spent 2 years in N.Ireland. As with most blokes my car has changed numerous times, also I've moved 3 times. My youngest son was born and both kids are now in school. We've had 3 failed pregnancies, and my marriage has been saved many times over. Friends have come and gone, marriages started and ended, people born and died (not the same people).
During all this when I needed a few minutes peace I always knew I could come here forget all the problems and enjoy something I share with people worldwide. You don't know me, I don't know you but on this site you are welcomed, accepted and listened to. I don't post alot on the threads but you can be assured I have seen most of them.
Well I have a week off now so I moght actually get some building, it seems I have little time to myself nowadays, anyway enjoy yourselves, be careful, and make sure everyone special in your lives now how you feel, when you've read this hug your wife and/or kids, tell them you love them and see the look of shock on their faces (usually followed by the question"what have you done?). Happy modeling, hope to be here still in 7 years time.
Robbo
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:13 AM UTC

Did a bit of digging and found these

That was a great campaign. Good solid rules, tight, but non-restrictive. Something like, snow, a window, one figure, under $10USD, weekly updates, fairly short run time.

I'd be nice to do something like that again - maybe dovetail an HFM co-sponsored campaign.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:07 AM UTC
Thanks for finding those mate, I believe that campaign ensured the future for that idea. I remember being amazed at the help and interest the builders took in each others work.
Cheers
Robbo
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:54 AM UTC

This was my entry for the same campaign (second figure added afterwards). And like yourself and Scott, will probably never be forgotten. I just wish that participating in a campaign meant as much today, as it did then. I still remember the threads where each of these guys described how they built their scenes .
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC
From the looks of your sig bar Frank, you've been active in the campaign arena for quite some time around here! Quite a ribbon display.

Cool pics of the entrants provided by Scott. Hopefully those participants are still active modelers as the work is well done.

Steve
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
Frank- Didn't mean to leave you out, but your's wasn't in the archive. I'm going to add it so that there is a documented copy of your dio.

Just to let you all know- it was Feb. 2003.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:32 PM UTC
It was a good campaign I never got mine in or was lost but still have it ,a little beat up from all the moves,but still here.
Thanks for brining it back up Robbo
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hey Jeff,
Pull out your camera and take a pic, if you put in as much time as the rest its worth showing.
Robbo
 _GOTOTOP