History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Another what if
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
On December 10th Hitler decalred war on the US. What if instead...."those rotten sneaky Japanese just attacked the neutral country of the United States. We declare war on Japan for that dastardly deed. So Hiltler declares war on Japan instead of the United States.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
He wouldnt have because he also signed a treaty with Japan as with Russia to prevent a eastern front.But by the time of Dec.7,1941 Hitler already broke that agreement with Russia and was well into the war with them.But I dont think Hitler could have done anything against the Japs because the war with Russia was just waaay to important to take froces from the fight and send them across to fight the Japs.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
Since Hitler had a pact with Japan, he probably would not have taken any such action, and most other nations would be able to see any such declaration as nothing but an empty gesture to try to keep the U.S. out of the European war. Even if such a declaration delayed U.S. entry into Europe, it would only be a matter of time until another American ship was torpedoed by a u-boat while taking part in a convoy to England. As soon as that happened, the U.S. would use that as pretext to enter the war, especially since two U.S. destroyers had already been hit, one of them sunk. All things considered, any such declaration by Hitler would have been a fruitless gesture.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
I'm with War Machine. And, Hitler was good at fruitless and futile gestures. Besides, anyone with a Warren Zevon quote in the sig file can't be all bad. Personally, I'm having a bad luck streak at dancing school...
CharlesLatham
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
There was a large portion of the US Population that was very much aganist involvement in another 'European War' even at the time of Pearl Harbor. If Germany declared war on Japan and nothing else, I wonder if the Lend Lease would have been stopped. And if so, could the Soviets have survived without it ?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
These have been my thoughts. Yea Hitler had pact with Japan but we all know what he did to Russia. I agree that it would have been a meaningless gesture but...the purpose would have been to keep America out of his hair, they would have been embroiled in their own war thus depriving Russia of much needed supplies and equipment. with less convoys coming out of the US he might have been able to avoid sinking another US ship for a while, as most of them would have been called to the other ocean. The strong pacifist movement would not be inclined to fight a two front war nor go against Geany whcih had done nothing overtly to the US...look at todays events....little was said about going into Afghanistan hunting Al Quida but look at the uproar over Iraq....eventually we would have gotten into it with him, but would he have had time to finish the Atlatic wall fortifications throughout Normandy and beyond
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
Yeah but Blaster,Hitler wanted to fight us.He was in the process of declaring war on us when the Japs attacked at Pearl.And even then after we went to war with Japan he and Mussolini declared war on us.
I think his thought process was ok,the Americans are fightng the Japs while slowing trying to get me,I can take them and the Rostkies at the same time.Wrong answer bubba.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
I agree with what you said Zach, but this is a what if speculation
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
True true.But I would in turn say well what if Hitler didnt want to control the world?That would mean he didnt want to fight us.

The wierd thing about it that there are so many "what-ifs" out there that it would explode your brain if you tried to think of them all.In saying that though we come up with the "what-ifs" to learn from our past and make sure we dont make the same decisions that our predecesors(spell check?)did so the people of the future go,"uuuhhhhh what-if?..........."Lol.

Come up with another good one Blaster.My head hurts too much to think of one.