_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Using 2-part epoxy...clean up??
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hi all!

Okay, I'm using a two-part epoxy (Devcon five-minute to be exact) and I've found it much easier to use an old Testor's brush to brush it on versus using the little "mixing stick" that's supplied.

Is there any way to clean the brush so I can use it again? I had heard paint thinner, but, uhhhhh, that did not work. Or am I merely left with picking up a couple extra of these inexpensive brushes?

Thoughts, suggestions....??

Thanks!

Mike
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC
denatured alcahol will clean up uncured epoxy but its not worth the hassle to clean brushes better to buy some disposable brushes from the dollar store, or better yet microbrushes ,come in packs of ten for a buck/95 best deal going.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
Ditto what John said. Cheaper and easier to just buy cheap brushes.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:24 PM UTC
John, Scott, thanks guys....I had a feeling that would be the case. The brush in question, after soaking in thinner, came out with a "clump" at the end of the bristles. Good ol' #11 removed that and I added some zimmy to the glacias with the same brush....and, ditto...dried like a rock....it's now been consigned to "file 13." I'll hit the LHS later on for some cheapie brushes....figure I have this one KT and one Tiger (P) to do and I'll probably be done (for now with the 2-part).

Again, vielen dank!

Mike
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC
Mike,
I use toothpicks for mixing and craftsticks aka popcicile sticks for spreading it over the larger areas if needed. Easy to use and very cost effective. "Q"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC
Baby wipes! That's right! The lanoline wipes the epoxy off of the model and your fingers. I've used baby wipes to clean the excess epoxy from wingroot fillings, etc. Dries smooth.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
Matt, duh, should have thought about that (only excuse is this is my first time! ).

Fred, "baby wipes???" Oh my.....so simple, so easy..... Trust me, WHEN I can get my fingers unstuck from the upper hull of the KT, I'll use 'em!! Seriously, I'd have never thought of them....but, there'll be a box of 'em on my bench by next weekend!

Thanks guys!

Mike
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 04:43 AM UTC
One of the benefits of epoxy based adhesives is that they are relatively inert when cured. I.e. once hardened, they are very hard to dissolve in almost anyting you care to name. Heat doesn't affect them much and pretty much any thermoplastic will be long gone before you put a serious dent in the epoxy.

In the uncured state, they still don't readily dissolve, but isopropyl alchohol and lacquer thinner are your best bets to clean it off surfaces or fingers. Baby wipes are pretty good, but don't really have much "bite" to them to get any dissolving action going. The wipes themselves, though, hold up under the rubbing action than normal paper towels and they smell nice. :-)

Plus, of course, baby wipe plastic containers are one of the best places to store part built projects while they are "in work". Good size (especially for armour kits), reclosable lid and stackable.

Paul
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
Something I started doing awhile back in regards to mixing epoxy is using wide blue painters tape as a mixing palette. The wider the better. I tear off a piece and stick it my cutting mat, do what I need to do and when I'm done, I simply peel it up, roll it up and toss in the trash can. I do the same thing when using CA glues too. A single roll has lasted me well over a year and its easy to find. Beats trying to keep a supply of lids, or other associated things on hand. I also use it when doing small paint jobs etc. Hope this helps.
"Q"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...isopropyl alchohol and lacquer thinner are your best bets to clean it off surfaces or fingers. Baby wipes are pretty good, but don't really have much "bite" to them to get any dissolving action going. The wipes themselves, though, hold up under the rubbing action than normal paper towels and they smell nice. :-)

Paul is spot-on. I find the wipes good for de-epoxying my digits when it hasn't hardened, and used alchohol to wipe away excess uncured epoxy from the working surface. It worked great, but once I used too much and the epoxy came out of the seam and set as little globulettes. So not much alchohol!
 _GOTOTOP