_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Too much flash
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
I am having a real problem with my flash on my digital camera washing out or creating a bright spot when I shoot photos of my projects. I have tried turing off the flash but then the pictures are too dark. I am not interested in buying a new camera but would be interested in tips on how to tweak the flash on my current camera.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
I just noramlly have enough back lighting that the flash fills in only shadows. I will still get a bright spot, but I will then take another picture at a slightly different angle. I am still messing with my new camera and working out ways to take good clean paictures with little or no birght spots.

It is hard to do.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC
On some digital cameras you can set the intensity level of the flash so have a good look in the camera menu. You could also place some thin tissue papaer in front of the flash to diffuse the light slightly or tape a piece of card in front of the flash so that it bounces off the cieling and back down onto your model. I never use the flash I either take my shots outdoors out of direct sunlight or use a couple of lamps for lighting.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/106532#879323
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
A simple way to deal with this is to tape a piece of photocopy paper or any clean white paper on top of your flash. This should diffuse the light enough so that you dont get the harsh highlights.

I've seen some other field photographers stick a clear tupperware cup on their flash to diffuse the light.

Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips. I will have to dig out the old owners manuel and see if I can adjust the flash intensity, great sugestions about the paper defuser, may give that a shot as well. I have a couple of completed kits I want to submit for campaigns so I want them to loog good.

_GOTOTOP