_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sculpey III
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:58 PM UTC
I have heard alot of guys talk about it, about how useful it is and I finally got a chance to pick some up. Now what do I do with it? First of all how well does it take paint?? Can it be made into sandbags/ruck sacks etc and then painted the correct color. How much does it shrink when it gets baked? Can you sculpt it at all after baking or is it rock hard? Does the baking process remove details put into it? How do you guys use it?
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:04 PM UTC
This stuff is great... not sure it is the same stuff, but it is carvable after drying, but it does get hard! Use a razor saw or dremel to cut/sculpt it. It would make great sandbags, as you can make them look natural, droop, etc.

I think it holds detail well, too. If you want to get really detailed get some 2-part epoxy putty, as it is meant for more detailed work.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Its good stuff - I used it in Cold Stare for the gear on the second floor.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo57&id=aae&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
The bread, the bag, and the gasmask container are all the baked clay stuff, even the cross on the wall.
It takes paint, keeps detail, it is a bit soft after baked but you can still dremel it, saw it, sculpt it etc.
I love it- cheap, easy, versital.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
Does anyone know how this sculpy stuff is called in Europe???

I have never heard of sculpy we have something that is called Fimo you sculpt you bake it becomes rockhard. I have never used it before but I know people who made stuff for dollhouses with it.

Are Fimo and Sculpy one and the same thing under a different name???

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
Faust - FIMO is basically the same stuff. I have used both and they both work the same. It just depended on what the store had in stock.
I don't know if they are the same product with a different wrapper? Concpetually and output wise they are interchangable.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Since we're on the topic of clay like stuff - My sister used to make small figures out of White Bread and White glue.

You take a pinch of white bread (yea the good old processed stuff) add white glue and knead it adding glue as you go to make a vey doughy stuff. It's kinda cool how it just turns the corner and become workable after the right amount of glue is added. Then you mold it to shape and leave it to air dry. Once its dry you can paint it as you like.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
Slodder

Thanks for this information now I can start making my own figs. I always wondered where the guys here made there figs of but now I know it

Thanks again

And about the bread stuff my mother did the same a couple of years ago making all kind of ornaments from bread dough

Oh and may I congratulate you with your second star Major General

bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to make some stowage for future armor projects. But about the bread, you didn't have problems with bugs or pets trying to get at the glued bread pieces?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
No bugs in the bread. It comes out to be mostly glue. They usually got totally painted so there was a seal around it.
 _GOTOTOP