Local, Regional, or International.
Euro Militaire 2007 - musings & observations
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 04:33 AM UTC
There doesn't seem to have been a whole lot of talk here about this year's EuroMil (apart from photos being posted up). So to (hopefully) get some sort of ball rolling, here's a few of my own observations from this year's show in Folkestone:

Maybe it's the venue, maybe it's the amazing standard of work that's always on display there, maybe its chance to visit home shores and spend ridiculous amounts of money that I can't always afford, maybe it’s the special atmosphere that this event seems to have (for me at least) - or maybe it's a combination of these and other reasons that drive me to make the 2000 kilometre round-trip pilgrimage to the clifftops of Folkestone. I can't quite pin it down. But I always enjoy "EuroMil" immensely - it somehow seems to have a special aura around it that other events lack.

The event does though seem to have shrunk in recent years. This was my first EuroMil since 2004 (I couldn't make it to 2005 and 2006) and this time there were no historical re-enactors in Napoleonic uniforms, no RC tank guys driving their 1/6 scale motorised replicas up and down the clifftop promenade and no vintage military vehicles. There even seemed to be fewer competition entries this year than the last time round - unless of course I just remembered it different.

But when I think back to the first EuroMils I attended (my first was 1997, after which I went annually up until 2001 before missing it in 2002) it seems to be a smaller show these days.

Back then there were not only all of the above "fringe events" but also a large marquee pitched outside the main hall, in which yet more traders peddled their wares amid the same intense frenzy of buying & selling that was going on in the main hall. And inside the main hall it could sometimes be difficult to even move around, never mind reach one of the stalls.

That problem no longer exists - which is great for those attending: Not being constantly elbowed and not having to jostle for position at stalls makes the whole thing much more civilised. But of course the downside of that is that you can't help but worry whether this drop in attendance could be symptom of the hobby being in serious decline? Or is it just that people are getting lazy because of the growth of the Internet in recent years, and so they don't "need" to go to expos any more? And will it spell the end of EuroMil and other shows if the trend continues?

In any event, even though fantasy modelling isn't my thing at all, I found myself nodding in hearty agreement when the MC said during the prize-giving that if the fast-growing area of fantasy modelling succeeds in introducing new blood to the hobby, then he was all for it and long may the boom in fantasy modelling continue. Who knows - maybe "Fantasy" will prove to be the "new Airfix" and attract a whole new generation of young modellers who'll then branch out into military figures, AFVs etc. as they get older. Only time will tell.

As usual, the standard of work on display at EuroMil 2007 was very high: Some of the exhibits were at a level that most of us can only dream about ever reaching. "Stunning" is the word that springs to mind to describe others. And still many others were "merely excellent". Only a very tiny handful of competing models looked to me like they were out of their league there.

I have to say though (and this is just my own 2 Cents worth) that I was quite surprised by the winner of the "Best of Show" accolade this year.

With the greatest respect to Roy Hunt, and to take nothing away from his entry "Storm Child" (which is far more original than anything I could dream up, and if I had to scratch-build for my supper I'd starve), that build wouldn't have got my BoS vote (I'd have chosen the wrecked train diorama "Courtesy of the USAAF"). Certainly "Storm Child" was a worthy medallist in its class. But "Best of Show"? Hmmmm … Not so sure about that (sorry Roy if you're reading this - nothing personal, just my own humble opinion).

In any case I'm sure it'll be a choice that'll be the subject of great debate both "for" and "against" (if the conversations I had with other modellers afterwards are anything to go by).

But what do I know?! Folks with far greater 'modelling minds' than my own make the decisions on these matters. So personal opinions aside now, the fact remains that Roy's figure came away with the "Best of Show" award, so congratulations to him on his achievement and BoS medal.

I suppose that one thing you can say about "Storm Child"'s win is that it should send a message to figure-builders that "bigger" isn't necessarily "better" in the eyes of show judges, and that you don't always have to build an elaborate diorama or a 1/16 scale King Tiger in order to be in with a shout.

On the other hand, I'd like to see the organisers of EuroMil follow the lead of some others and introduce a "Masters" class, for the simple reason that a small group of some modellers who regularly compete at EuroMil (people like Marijn van Gils, the Pegaso guys and the apparently absent this year Mike Blank spring immediately to mind) are so far ahead of the rest of us mere mortals who make up the majority in the hobby that the regular punter hasn't got a cat in Hell's chance when going head-to-head against these chaps.

I think that a system like along those lines would still recognise the excellence of these master modellers, while at the same time give some otherwise unsung (but still excellent) modellers a chance to shine, and also encourage others (who probably otherwise wouldn't bother) to enter some builds of their own and thus make the whole thing that little bit more interesting and a little less predictable. Just to open things up a bit and make it a bit less "clique-ish".

As far as the traders who were present are concerned, it was good to see a hall full of stands and brisk business apparently being done, albeit without punters two and three deep at the stands like they used to be in previous years. One trader I spoke to on Saturday told me that last year had been his best year in 5 years, and that 2007 was also shaping up reasonably well. So if that's true across the board, it can only be a good thing.

On the other hand, charging traders 240 GBP per table to set up their pitch seems to be taking liberties (if a trader has 5 tables, that's well over 1000 GBP before he's even sold a single solitary item). This is especially true when you consider that Leas Cliff Hall only charges traders at some other events a mere 40 GBP per table, and I'm sure that's why some traders who used to be regulars (like The Fusilier, Border Miniatures and Aitna Model) no longer bother attending, which is a great pity.

Finally, I'd just like to say thanks to Claude for going to the trouble (and expense) of hauling his stunning "Clervaux Castle, December 17th 1944" diorama across the Channel to share with everyone. An amazing project, if ever there was one.

- Steve
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Steve, first of all, thanks for the time you've obviously put into this, you've obviously thought a lot about it..

I haven't been to Euro for decades so I won't comment on the attendance figures. It's also curious how the European modelers actually make more of an effort than their British counterparts. Last time I was there was the early 80s - before the days of the 'net and in those days (and before) I really made an effort to go - several years running a group of us would plan it months ahead and make the effort. Now, when the question is posed 'Who's Going?' the responses seem to go along the lines of 'Sorry,feeding the cat', 'Oh damn i've gotta work' etc.. Even for those who live 50km away...

I think there is an air of apathy. I don't think the hobby is in danger of vanishing, rather I think there is a dangerously passive attitude within modeling in general. Ask for participation or feedback on this (or other sites). ask for a modicum of participation or commitment and many head for the hills... Sadly, the huge logistical effort in hiring a car, getting a bus, train or plane ticket seems a huge effort to attend one of the best shows on the calendar.

Saying all that, there are still a lot of commited people who do put a lot of selfless (and UNPAID) hours into groups like AMPS or IPMS. Thanks to all of them there ARE shows like EM..

I also agree with you about the Best of Show. "Storm Child" is an extraordinary piece of work although I fail to understand the judging process that decides between such different work as this and "Courtesy of the USAAF". Wouldn't 3-4 'Best of Show' be more logical? It's a bit like the Oscars. What the hell IS the 'Best Movie of the Year' ?
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thank you for this lenghty and well thought out analysis.
As this was my first visit I can't comment on the evolution of the show but i certainly expected more. More spectators and more models on display.
The empty display shelf opposite my castle (where a half dozen flat figures occupied two meters of space) remembred me more of shop displays in the former East Germany than displays in the most famous modelling expo in the world.
What confused me most was the fact that just arriving visitors to the show were thrown out at 3 pm because the doors closed for judging.
These people payed a lot of pounds for the entry ticket just minutes before!
Some serious initiatives need to be taken to save this event, that is very clear.

As for my personal exhibition eperience, i was very satisfied with the friendliness and warm reception of either the staff or the visitors, among them you and your wife.
The talks i had during these two days have been very gratifying and well worth the visit.

See you soon

Claude

_GOTOTOP