_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I don't like painting? :(
TylerFerretLord
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
So far I've loved assembling the couple of models I picked up, but the painting... It just feels like a chore.

So, do you guys think I should just fully assemble my models and not paint them, or just force myself to paint them?

I don't like feeling like I've only half finished them.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:16 PM UTC
You don't have to paint the kit its yours to do with as you see fit just enjoy whatever that maybe.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, do you guys think I should just fully assemble my models and not paint them, or just force myself to paint them?

Force yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its obvious you like the building phase .. probably because its immediatly rewarding as you see a kit coming together, youŽve created something from a bunch of sprues, etc, etc.
Have you asked yourself why you hate painting so much? Have you had a couple of disasters? How much experience do you have?
I go through phases where I can build, build and build ... but the same then comes with painting. When youŽve mastered a new technique for the first time, and see actual progress ... the same reward that you feel after completing a build is apparent.
Theres always the fear of destroying an expensive kit or a weak paint job (so easy today when you compare to some of the stunning effects achievable), but with a little determination, youŽll find gettting a "good" result is not that hard. Set yourself realistic goals.

It feels more and more that the emphasis of modelling is moving from the build to the paint job ... and IMO its no wonder. The finished (painted) model will always be more eye-catching that an assembled plastic kit. On a recent thread on ML, Michale Rinaldi was showing some kits he bought already finished from Ebay ... just so he could skip the build and concentrate on the paint job. Somebody with his talent and eye for detail .. is still showing that he is learning and willing to practice to get there. I find that type of passion for the art, quite inspirational.

Another thing .... you may just need some help to get over, some little "bump" that is holding you back. Start a new thread ... with what kit you are going to paint, and give a little information on what you use and your methods. The help is available, to walk you through each stage. been there myself not so long ago. Maybe there is a club or other modellers nearby who could offer some help. A guy from my local club came home one day and showed me some simple tips .. like thinning paint properly ..... and it really paid off. Feel also free to PM me if you have particular questions. DonŽt give up yet ... Im sure youŽll change your mind when you see what you can do with a paint job.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
Out of curiousity, are you brush painting or airbrushing/using spray paints? When I think back to when I got back into the hobby, handpainting the base coat felt tedious at times. Moving to Tamiya & Model Master rattle cans alleviated a lot of that feeling and gave a better overall paint job. Now that I use an airbrush, I can't imagine ever going back!

As to your question, I'd try to find a way to make painting more enjoyable. Leaving them in bare plastic just doesn't seem right. I know that the kit I'm working on right now has a smattering of photo etch on it and it just looks weird without even a primer coat.

And for what it's worth, I find the building phase to be more enjoyable a lot of the times. Painting and weathering can be very time consuming, so to offset that, I typically have one actual build going while painting/weathering another. Gives you some flexibility, but also can start you down the road to gathering quite a few "shelf queens".

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you enjoy it. Otherwise, we'd call this hobby "work".

- Frank
TylerFerretLord
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of curiousity, are you brush painting or airbrushing/using spray paints? When I think back to when I got back into the hobby, handpainting the base coat felt tedious at times. Moving to Tamiya & Model Master rattle cans alleviated a lot of that feeling and gave a better overall paint job. Now that I use an airbrush, I can't imagine ever going back!

I am brush painting them, but strangly enough, it was after I did the base coat that the painting became tedious. I'll pick up some rattle cans anyway, to see if that helps.

Quoted Text

As to your question, I'd try to find a way to make painting more enjoyable. Leaving them in bare plastic just doesn't seem right. I know that the kit I'm working on right now has a smattering of photo etch on it and it just looks weird without even a primer coat.

And for what it's worth, I find the building phase to be more enjoyable a lot of the times. Painting and weathering can be very time consuming, so to offset that, I typically have one actual build going while painting/weathering another. Gives you some flexibility, but also can start you down the road to gathering quite a few "shelf queens".

I'll do the rotation thing, thanks.

Quoted Text

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you enjoy it. Otherwise, we'd call this hobby "work".
- Frank

I'm certainly enjoying it, and I went on and painted the model. I just need to pick up some glosscoat and dullcoat, and I'll move on to the decals and try some weathering.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
I know your case.

I know a guy who can almost scratch build 100% accurate and superdetailed Shermies without any reference material but he is scared to paint his work .

You must know that paint mistakes can always be corrected so don't worry.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC
For something different to use as a project for an article I am writing I built this P-47 without any paint, fillers (other than stretched sprue) or decals to show basic assembly techniques. It can be a real challenge to do it this way, unable to cover any blemishes or fill gaps with CA or putty. Forces one to clean up the parts especially well and test fit until it is near perfect.
 _GOTOTOP