_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from DownUnder
tisdazza
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi all

Havn't made a model for over 15 years now, my uncle got me interested in making models around 1980, wasn't until about 1985 I got more serious about models as I got a job in a model shop.
After I left that job & got a new one the model interest died away there (don't know why)

Looking at the variety of goodies available now to a modeller & what alot more moddellers are making, plus having a computer & internet.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Things a 1000 time better now (bit more expensive) but WOW.

I'm slowly getting my self setup again which is cool with the wife, she gets 1 room for her hobbies & I get the other for mine.

I've unpacked some of my old model gear.
Looking back at some of my finished models from years ago, DAMN, you guys make them look like they where made by a basic begginer with a crude outlook on detail.
If I had a digital camera I could show yers & umm make yer cringe

Going to try to see if I can strip some of the old models down & redo them.
I think it will a little while before I get to the standards I see here but I spose practice plus trial N error, yer never know.
doxdawg
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 04:56 AM UTC
i removed the finish off a model i did about ten years ago i used easy off oven cleaner . it worked for me . just test it out first on yours in a small place to make sure it wont eat the plastic of your model . mine was a tamiya i sprayed on the cleaner let it set 5 minutes .then scrubbed it with warm soapy water. hope this might help good luck and enjoy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Welcome Darryl,
You will soon pick it up again mate and be making great models before you know it.

Steve
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC
Welcome back to the world of modelling Darryl. Have a look around around the site and it should bring you up to speed with what's out there and what's possible nowadays.

fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:52 AM UTC
Welcome from another "downunderer"
Darryl don't be intimidated by some of the work on the site - there are all level of modellers on the site and like yourself we all started or 'restarted our hobby, The guys (and girls) on this site are very helpful -just ask the questions
Ian
a mad figure modeller
tisdazza
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome people.

Used paul reedy's advice on cleaning the old models, so far I have 6 models nearly cleaned. Just small areas like joins etc. that have paint in them, will try a soft toothbrush on them later.
Only problem I had with the oven cleaner was some small parts got ruined (aerials/mirrors/small hooks handles etc.) but I think they won't be a problem to remake.

Now to get some model supplies ---
Have to throw out all the old paint as they have all dried up. Have about 20 tins/jars that havn't been opened so they MAY be ok.
over 100 tins/jars of Humbrol/Tamiya/Testors paint to be binned.
Gonna ground down the dry paint to a powder & see if I can use it again as paint or even weathering powder or colour pigments for dioramas or plaster.
Will let yers know how that goes.

I have been learning alot of the newer stuff from here & it's been fantastic,
once I get all my stuff unpacked I'll have to take some pics of my old (cheap) ways I used to make things.
hopefefully the jigs & plans are still around.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
G'day Darryl

Welcome to the KitMaker network

Seems like you're a diorama-rist? Hope that means we'll be seeing some of your figures on Historicus Forma, Armorama's figure modelling sister site.

Cheers mate

Rudi
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
Welcome. You will find there are a lot of knowledgable, experienced modelerrs on this site that will be able to help you with just about any questions you may have.

Rule 1. Have fun.
Rule 2. Ask for help whenever you need it.
Rule 3. Don't be scared to take your modeling to the next level.

Check out the campaigns when you have a chance. They are a lot of fun when you find one you like.
 _GOTOTOP