_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Accurate Armour
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I heard about Accurate Armour kits and wonder what would the quality of their models is, at least compared with Tamiya. By looking on their website, the kits are quite expensive, at least for my poket. Anybody has/had any experience with these models?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC
Sebastian,
Accurate Armor own production is only resin kits. This is the reason why they're expensive. I bougt a few of them, but to date I've only built an Humber MKII Scout Car. This is just a decent kit, nothing special wit a few crappy parts, so if you want to get good results you have to scratchbuild a lot...
Ciao
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
I've heard very mixed reviews of their products. Many people are impressed by the level of detail, but sometimes the fit is very problematic and parts come through broken. I think that it maybe one of those cases where you could use the base, but you are probably going to have to sub in parts from the spares box or scratch build some of your own.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
My experience with AA is that you get what you pay for within reason.

Some of the white metal parts are not quite as nice as the Tamiya equivalants, but Tamiya has never made Stormer or Starstreak vehicles either...
I was not imperssed with the size of their aftermarket chain. I found the links crude and flat. But the resin British accessories (rucksacks, helmets and Scimitar/Scorpion ammo boxes ) were first rate.

I did find the same material they sell (without resin cable ends) for the kinetic towing cables in the bracelet section of the craft store.

My US$0.02
Mike
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
I agree with you. For instance I've now opened an AA conversion to upgrade Tamiya M3 Stuart to M3A3 and the details are far a lot better than the Humbers One. Also their T17 "Staghound" looks far a lot better than the Humber. What I really do not like is to have the body of the vehichle casted in a single block of resin. This contributes to kick the price up and the quality of the jit down...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
There is a guy in our local IPMS who has their whole catalogue, and swears by them. I have bought a few samll pieces like stowage and chains etc, and was happy enough with them, but have seen as good for less money elsewhere. They do have some kits that are rarer and this may be your only way to go. I guess with an open mind and average ability you could make them work to their true potential.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
Thank you very much to everybody for the replies. You guys are really great and supportive in all that means modelling. I only wanted to know if they're really worth the high price or not. I'll stick with Tamiya. See you around.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
As we say down south. They sure are awful proud of their stuff.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:49 PM UTC
I have some of AA conversion and update sets and I'm very satisfied with them... I've heard of warped parts, but also some very good feedback of AA replacing such parts in short notice. I believe you won't be dissapointed if you go for it...

Mario M.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:07 PM UTC
Panzer Fan,
these pics just to give you an idea an AA models. Note that all the copper/brass parts were scratchbuilt to replace the crappy kit ones in white metal...

Ciao
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:07 PM UTC
I did a big job for a company once and wanted to buy something special so i bought an AA Staghound....it was $145 Cdn. and it wasn't worth that much in my opinion......although I was pleased with the final model it wasn't as good as I expected for the price.....maybe if it was $75 Cdn I would have thought differently.....I have seen some tanks by them and was reall disappointed with the tracks...they didn't look good at all....that's why I bought an armoured car.
I did buy the Sherman update and the Firefly update.....and British tank stowage set and will soon be getting the British figure update set for the tamiya figures.....with the exception of the one I haven't recieved yet....these items are great.....i love them....I also have a set of Churchill tracks on order from them....but they are for added on armour on a sherman so i think they will look fine...I wouldn't use them for tracks.
 _GOTOTOP